Books on Spacetime Hypersurfaces & Foliations of Space Time

• I
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary, the Frobenius theorem in mathematics gives necessary and sufficient conditions for finding a maximal set of independent solutions of an underdetermined system of first-order homogeneous linear partial differential equations. It is foundational in differential topology and calculus on manifolds. For further reading on the topics of Spacetime Hypersurfaces and Foliations of Space Time, "A Relativist's Toolkit: The Mathematics of Black-Mechanics" by Eric Poisson is a recommended book.
kent davidge
Can anyone recommend me good books on the topics of Spacetime Hypersurfaces and Foliations of Space Time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't recommend a book, but I can give you the name of the theorem that discusses your question in mathematical detail, "Frobenius theorem", <<wiki link>>. Wiki, however, while it mentions the theorem and gives a terse description, is probably not going to be a great place to learn the details. Looking up the references in the wiki article may be helpful (however I haven't read them personally, so I can't vouch for the specific references quoted).

wiki said:
In mathematics, Frobenius' theorem gives necessary and sufficient conditions for finding a maximal set of independent solutions of an underdetermined system of first-order homogeneous linear partial differential equations. In modern geometric terms, the theorem gives necessary and sufficient conditions for the existence of a foliation by maximal integral manifolds each of whose tangent bundles are spanned by a given family of vector fields (satisfying an integrability condition) in much the same way as an integral curve may be assigned to a single vector field. The theorem is foundational in differential topology and calculus on manifolds.

It seems to me there should be a statement of the theroem involving language that I find more intuitive, but I haven't seen any that really speak to me. What's more intuitive to me are Integral curves of vector fields, and how they wind up describing time-like congruences.

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
Can anyone recommend me good books on the topics of Spacetime Hypersurfaces and Foliations of Space Time?

For hypersurfaces, and for the conditions when two spacetimes are joined along a hypersurface, you might want to look at the first three chapters or so of the advanced, but somewhat pedagogical, "A Relativist's Toolkit: The Mathematics of Black-Mechanics" by Eric Poisson,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521537800/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes kent davidge

1. What is the concept of spacetime in relation to hypersurfaces and foliations?

Spacetime is a mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. Hypersurfaces are defined as a set of points that have a specific number of dimensions within a higher-dimensional space, while foliations refer to the division of spacetime into a series of hypersurfaces.

2. How do books on spacetime hypersurfaces and foliations contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By studying the structure of spacetime through hypersurfaces and foliations, we can gain a deeper understanding of the physical laws that govern the universe. These books provide insights into the nature of gravity, the behavior of matter and energy, and the possible existence of other dimensions.

3. What are some common applications of hypersurfaces and foliations in physics?

Hypersurfaces and foliations are used in various areas of physics, such as general relativity, quantum field theory, and cosmology. They are also applied in other fields like fluid dynamics, computer graphics, and medical imaging.

4. Are there any notable scientists or researchers who have contributed to the study of spacetime hypersurfaces and foliations?

Yes, there have been many notable scientists who have made significant contributions to this field, including Albert Einstein, who developed the theory of general relativity, and Roger Penrose, who proposed the concept of cosmic censorship and the Penrose diagram.

5. What are some recommended books on spacetime hypersurfaces and foliations for beginners?

Some recommended books for beginners in this field include "Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity" by Sean Carroll, "The Geometry of Spacetime: An Introduction to Special and General Relativity" by James J. Callahan, and "General Relativity from A to B" by Robert Geroch.