Spatially Homogeneous Scalar Field on Spacetime: Showing $\nabla^2 f$

• I
  • Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, if ##f## is a "spatially homogeneous" scalar field on spacetime ##ds^2 = dt^2 - a^2(t) \delta_{ij} dx^i dx^j##, then it can be shown that ##\nabla^2 f = \ddot{f} + 3H \dot{f}##, where ##H## is the Hubble parameter. This is easy to prove since ##f## does not depend on spatial position, and thus only the time derivatives of ##f## survive. By finding the appropriate trace of Christoffel symbols, the result can be derived.
ergospherical
If ##f## is a "spatially homogeneous" scalar field on spacetime ##ds^2 = dt^2 - a^2(t) \delta_{ij} dx^i dx^j## then show that ##\nabla^2 f = \ddot{f} + 3H \dot{f}##. Should be easy if I knew what the condition on ##f## is, i.e. ##\nabla^2 f = \partial_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} f = \ddot{f}- a^{-2}(t) \delta^{ij} \partial_i \partial_j f = \dots##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spatially homogeneous = does not depend on spatial position. In other words, ##f## is a function of ##t## only.

Likes FactChecker, vanhees71 and ergospherical
I messed up the double covariant, should be:\begin{align*}
\nabla^2 f &= \nabla_{\mu}(\partial^{\mu} f) \\
&= \partial_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} f + g^{\nu \rho} \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^{\mu} \partial_{\rho} f \\
&= \partial_t^2 f + 3H \partial_t f
\end{align*}(##\Gamma_{0i}^{j} = H\delta^{j}_{i}##)

Likes vanhees71
Indeed. Only the time derivatives survive since the field only depends on t. Then it is just a matter of finding the appropriate trace of Christoffel symbols.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a spatially homogeneous scalar field on spacetime?

A spatially homogeneous scalar field on spacetime is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe a scalar field that is constant in space and time. This means that the value of the field does not change as you move through space or as time passes.

2. What does $\nabla^2 f$ represent in this context?

In this context, $\nabla^2 f$ represents the Laplace operator applied to the scalar field f. This operator is commonly used in physics to describe the curvature or smoothness of a function in space.

3. How is the spatial homogeneity of a scalar field on spacetime determined?

The spatial homogeneity of a scalar field on spacetime is determined by the fact that the field is constant in both space and time. This means that the value of the field at any point in space is the same, and it does not change as time passes.

4. What is the significance of studying spatially homogeneous scalar fields on spacetime?

Studying spatially homogeneous scalar fields on spacetime is important in physics because it allows us to understand the behavior of physical systems that are uniform and do not change over time. This can help us make predictions and better understand the underlying principles of the universe.

5. How is the Laplace operator used in the study of spatially homogeneous scalar fields on spacetime?

The Laplace operator is used to describe the curvature or smoothness of a scalar field in space. In the context of studying spatially homogeneous scalar fields on spacetime, it is used to show that the field is constant in space and time, which is a defining characteristic of such fields.