Apparent Velocity Calculation for a Moving Rod in Special Relativity

In summary: When O see's the rod, it is moving, therefore it is in a different IRF, but A is still in the same IRF as the rod (since it's at the front of the rod).In summary, the question is asking to calculate the apparent velocity of a rod moving towards an observer O at a velocity v. The observer sees the front of the rod (point A) arrive at O at t=0. Using the reference frame with the origin at O, the apparent velocity v_{app} of the rod can be calculated as v_{app}=v\left(\frac{c}{c-v}\right). However, there is confusion about whether this equation should include a \gamma term to account for special rel
Warr
The question is: Say a rod is traveling towards an observer O at a velocity v. The front of the rod is point A and the back is point B. First it wants me to calculate the apparent velocity of the rod to the observer.

So let's say at [tex]t_0=0[/tex], A is at O (ie x=0)

then when A is a distance d from O (x=-d), the time is [tex]t_2=\frac{-d}{v}[/tex]

The time at which the observer sees A at a distance d is [tex]t_1=t_2+\frac{d}{c}=d\left(\frac{1}{c}-\frac{1}{v}\right)[/tex]. (ie the time at which A is actually at d plus the time it takes the light to travel from x=-d to x=0)

therefore

When A gets to 0, the observer sees the object at the same time as it is actually there, [tex]t_0=0[/tex]

therefore the difference in the time between when he sees it at x=d and x=0 is[tex]{\Delta}t=t_0-t_1=0-d\left(\frac{1}{c}-\frac{1}{v}\right)=d\left(\frac{1}{v}-\frac{1}{c}\right)[/tex]

so the apparent velocity [tex]v_{app}[/tex] is then

[tex]v_{app}=\frac{{\Delta}d}{{\Delta}t}=\frac{0-(-d)}{d\left(\frac{1}{v}-\frac{1}{c}\right)}=v\left(\frac{c}{c-v}\right)[/tex]

What I'm confused about is whether I should this have a [tex]\gamma[/tex] term in it to account for special relativity?

The reason I think this is, is that if the rods system is O', then [tex]t_2[/tex] and consequenly [tex]t_1[/tex] should be instead [tex]t_2'[/tex] and [tex]t_1'[/tex] respectively, which would then make [tex]{\Delta}t[/tex] instead be [tex]{\Delta}t'[/tex]

so that [tex]{\Delta}t'=\frac{{\Delta}t}{\gamma}[/tex] which would then multiply my final solution by a factor of [tex]\gamma[/tex]. (ie. [tex]v_{app}=v\gamma\left(\frac{c}{c-v}\right)[/tex])

which method is correct...if either

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am also confused. Special relativity is about the differences in observing the same event (a moving rod) in different IRFs that are experiencing relative motion. So the velocity of the rod, v, with respect to what reference frame is it? How is this IRF moving with respect to the observer? Only in this context do this question make sense to me.

Last edited:
My question also. "a rod is traveling towards an observer O at a velocity v." Velocity v relative to whom? The only person mentioned is O and you are asked to find "the apparent velocity of the rod to the observer." The observer O? You were just told that it was v! If the velocity v is relative to something other than O, then we need to know the velocity of that frame of reference relative to O.

I suppose v is with respect to the rod's frame, and the apparent velocity is the velocity that observer O measures. The exact wording of the question is:

Consider a stick with the two ends A and B and a proper length of L moving towards an observer O with velocity v. Choose the reference frame with the origin at the position of O and t=0 for the moment when the front of the stick (A) arrives at O. What is the apparent velocity [tex]v_{app}[/tex] of the stick?

Then there is just a picture that looks like this
v--->
B-----------------A .... O

where (...) is just empty space

Last edited:
That distance d ain't the same for for both the observers. If d is what O sees then the rod will see [itex]d' = d/\gamma[/itex]. Isn't that what you are missing?

Last edited:
Well, I think I'm missing something. I don't think that's it, because A is on the rod, hence they are both in the same frame of reference.

Sorry, I meant O, because I was referring to 2 different IRF's, one on the rod (where the rod is in rest) and one where the rod is moving.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time in our universe. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, it is assumed that time and space are absolute and the laws of physics are the same for all observers. However, special relativity introduces the concept of spacetime, where time and space are interconnected and relative to the observer. It also describes the effects of objects moving at high speeds, such as time dilation and length contraction.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

In special relativity, the speed of light is considered to be the ultimate speed limit in the universe. It is a constant value that remains the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

4. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and is used in many modern technologies, such as GPS systems and particle accelerators. However, its effects are only noticeable at extremely high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields.

5. What is the relation between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity is a special case of general relativity, which is a more comprehensive theory proposed by Einstein in 1915. General relativity incorporates the effects of gravity and describes the relationship between space, time, and matter. It reduces to special relativity in the absence of gravitational fields.