Special relativity train problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving relativity and a train moving at 0.65c with a headlight producing a beam with an angular spread of 60 degrees. The question asks how far an observer standing alongside the track would be from the train when the approaching headlight suddenly disappears. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using trigonometry and equations, but the correct solution is not reached.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

I'm having a tough time with relativity, and I thought I'd try this problem to see if I understood the topic very well.

Let's consider a train moving at 0.65c along a straight track. Its headlight produces a beam with an angular spread of 60 degrees. If you astanding alongside the track (rails are 1.5 m apart), how far from you is the train when you see its approaching headlight suddenly disappear?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture, but I really need a hint on how to get started. I'm thinking about using length contraction somehow, but I just can't get my head around what I need to do.

Here's the best I've got right now: From trigonometry I have x= tan(60)*.75, x = 1.3, and I'm pretty sure this isn't right.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bcjochim07 said:
Let's consider a train moving at 0.65c along a straight track. Its headlight produces a beam with an angular spread of 60 degrees. If you astanding alongside the track (rails are 1.5 m apart), how far from you is the train when you see its approaching headlight suddenly disappear?

Here's the best I've got right now: From trigonometry I have x= tan(60)*.75, x = 1.3, and I'm pretty sure this isn't right.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi bcjochim07! :smile:

.75 (or .76) is γ, but apart from that I don't understand what you're doing, or why. :confused:

What is x? What equation or diagram are you using?

Actually I'm going to take a second shot at this problem.

The angular spread of the headlight in the frame of the train is 60 degrees, so the observer along tracks sees this angular spread:

theta = arccos((cos(60) + 0.76)/(1+0.76cos(60)) = 24.07 degrees.

First of all, I'm picturing a moving cone of light centered on the train tracks and an observer at the side
From my drawing, I think that the headlight should disappear when you are at the point where one of the edges of the cones intersects the tracks. (On second thought, maybe this is not right?)

Anyway, I've drawn a triangle with legs x (distance of observer from train in x direction) and 0.75 (half the width between the tracks) and the angle opposite to the 0.75 side is 12.035 degrees. So I get:

0.75/x = tan(12.035) , x = 3.5 m. My book actually gives 3.0 m, so I'm not doing something right.

bcjochim07 said:
theta = arccos((cos(60) + 0.76)/(1+0.76cos(60)) = 24.07 degrees.

Well, that can't possibly be right, because if the train is stationary, then you replace 0.76 by 1, and the result is arccos(1).
Anyway, I've drawn a triangle with legs x (distance of observer from train in x direction) and 0.75 (half the width between the tracks) and the angle opposite to the 0.75 side is 12.035 degrees. So I get:

0.75/x = tan(12.035) , x = 3.5 m. My book actually gives 3.0 m, so I'm not doing something right.

Sorry, I've still no idea what you're doing. :confused:

The question is asking, if a ray of light is at 60º as measured on the train, then what is the angle as measured on the ground?

So use equations

put x = (√3/2)t, y = (1/2)t …

then what are x' and y' ? :smile:

What is the special relativity train problem?

The special relativity train problem is a thought experiment that demonstrates the principles of special relativity, a theory developed by Albert Einstein to explain the relationship between space and time. In this problem, a person on a moving train and a person on a stationary platform observe the same event but perceive it differently due to their relative motion.

What are the key principles of special relativity?

The key principles of special relativity are the constancy of the speed of light, the relativity of simultaneity, and time dilation. The theory states that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. It also suggests that events that are simultaneous for one observer may not be simultaneous for another, and that time passes slower for objects that are in motion compared to those at rest.

How does the special relativity train problem demonstrate these principles?

In the train problem, the observer on the moving train and the observer on the stationary platform see a flash of light at the same time. However, due to their relative motion, the observer on the train will measure the speed of the light to be the same as the observer on the platform, while the observer on the platform will measure the speed of light to be faster. This demonstrates the relativity of simultaneity and the constancy of the speed of light.

What is time dilation and how does it relate to the special relativity train problem?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for objects in motion compared to those at rest. In the train problem, the observer on the train experiences time passing slower than the observer on the platform. This is because the train is moving at a high speed, causing time to dilate for the observer on the train. This concept is a key principle of special relativity and has been proven through various experiments.

What are the real-world applications of special relativity and the train problem?

Special relativity has many real-world applications, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear power. Without taking into account the principles of special relativity, these technologies would not function accurately. The train problem also helps us understand the nature of space and time and how they are affected by relative motion, which has significant implications in the fields of astrophysics and cosmology.