1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Trajectory Equation - Solving for T

1. Sep 14, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I am making a physics model for a game. This model works by extrapolating points in time through trajectories, pretty basic stuff. The problem is I need a trajectory for something on a 2d plane, with constant acceleration, and constant angular velocity. I've done almost all the leg work but I got stuck at the end when I need to solve it for t. I need to solve for t to predict when a trajectory will overlap a specific location. So, here is what I got so far.

Variable Constants:
    V_i = initial velocity
    a = acceleration
    w = omega, angular velocity, projectiles turn rate

Variables = t , time

I started with the basic velocity equation.
    v(t) = dx/dt

re-arranged it and took the integral of both sides

integral(dx) = integral(v(t)dt)

substituted v(t) for what I needed ( this equation will be the forward component )

x = integral(cos(wt)*(v_i+at)dt)

integrated the first half

x = (V_i*sin(wt))/w + ...

and then the second half and got the final equation
    solving for c where at t = 0 x should be 0

[tex]x = \frac{V_{i}}{\omega}*sin(\omega*t) + \frac{a}{\omega^{2}}*cos(\omega*t) + \frac{a*t}{\omega}*sin(\omega*t) - \frac{a}{\omega^{2}}[/tex]

I followed the same process for the sideways version of the equation and obtained this one.

[tex]y = \frac{-V_{i}}{\omega}*cos(\omega*t) + \frac{a}{\omega^{2}}*sin(\omega*t) + \frac{-a*t}{\omega}*cos(\omega*t) - \frac{V_{i}}{\omega}[/tex]

I tested these equations and they work, much to my surprise. Tested them on a TI83 Plus using the X and Y mode. However, for my purposes I need to be able to get these in "t =" form.

I've been rearranging them back and forth for hours but I just can't seem to get it. I'm not sure it's even possible since there are several t's per x and some x's may not have a t at all so it's not exactly a function curve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?