Specific resistivity, parallel design, my half baked thought

In summary, parallel and series circuits work differently based on how many wires are in the circuit. Adding an extra piece of wire to a series circuit makes it like a parallel circuit, but the resistance is smaller because the effective number of wires is greater. Adding an extra piece of wire to a parallel circuit makes it like a series circuit, but the resistance is larger because the effective number of wires is smaller.
Genecks
I was thinking of parallel and series circuits and how they work, but then I began to think more about how I could apply that same knowledge to a wire in terms of resistivity.

I was thinking, well if you add another length piece on, that wouldn't increase electron flow.. that would make it somewhat like a series wouldn't it? But what is the physical effect of adding another piece of wire just to make it longer? that doesn't really do much with resistivity, does it?

Then I thought, well wouldn't making the wire bigger make it like a parallel circuit? but somewhat exponential? from what i understand the electron flow increases, thus the bigger wire might seem like a parallel since greater current can go through...

Engineering news on Phys.org
what is the physical effect of adding another piece of wire just to make it longer? that doesn't really do much with resistivity, does it?
No, since resistivity is an intrinsic property of a material.
Remember that R = pL/A. This is intuitively obvious since having a greater area through which charge may flow means a greater current for a given voltage, hence lower resistance.
Of course any real wire will have a non-zero resistivity, so a certain length of wire could be thought of as a (relatively small) resistor. A series combination of resistors has an effective resistance that is simply the sum of the individual resistances. A parallel combination, on the other hand, has an effective resistance that is smaller than any of the constituent resistors.
So, yes, increasing the radius of the wire would make it like a parallel circuit of two smaller wires, whereas making the wire longer would be like a series circuit.
but somewhat exponential?
I'm afraid I don't quite follow you. Could you please elaborate?

There's a standard for wire sizes; American Wire Gauge (AWG). See this http://www.interfacebus.com/Reference_Cable_AWG_Sizes.html" which gives resistance values, etc.
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

What is specific resistivity?

Specific resistivity, also known as electrical resistivity, is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is represented by the Greek letter ρ (rho) and is typically measured in ohm-meters (Ω·m).

How is specific resistivity calculated?

The specific resistivity of a material can be calculated by dividing its resistance (R) by its cross-sectional area (A) and length (L). This can be expressed as ρ = R * A/L. It is important to note that this calculation assumes the material is uniform and has a constant cross-sectional area.

What is parallel design in the context of electrical circuits?

In parallel design, components of an electrical circuit are connected in a way that allows current to flow through multiple paths. This results in a lower overall resistance and can be used to increase the total current in the circuit.

What are some examples of parallel design in everyday life?

Parallel design can be seen in many common household appliances, such as televisions, refrigerators, and washing machines. In these devices, multiple components are connected in parallel to allow for efficient flow of electricity.

What is your half baked thought about specific resistivity and parallel design?

My half baked thought is that by using materials with higher specific resistivity in parallel design, we may be able to increase the efficiency of electrical circuits by reducing the overall current flow and minimizing energy loss. However, further research and experimentation would be needed to confirm this idea.