Specific values in equations

• Thread starter clydas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Specific
In summary, the conversation discusses how to change the equation P=a*n so that when n is replaced with 5, the resulting value is slightly higher than when n is replaced with any other number. The solution is to use a function that has a maximum at 5, such as P=a*(-(n-5)^2). The conversation concludes with gratitude and a note that sometimes the most obvious solutions can be overlooked.
clydas
Suppose I have the following equation:
P=a*n
Where a is a value between 0 and 1.
n is the day of the week. (this is just an example)

How do I change this expression so, for example, if one were to put 5 for n, the result would be marginally greater than those resulting from inserting any other number (1,2,3,4,6,7)?
Common sense dictates putting in (n/5), but that does not work if one inputs 6 or 7 into the equation.

Enlightenment on the area of math that such processes deal with would be great help as well.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi clydas! :smile:

I'm not sure what you want to do with this, so I don't know if you will like the answer.

The trick is to change n with a function that takes a maximum in 5. For example

[tex]P=a*(-(n-5)^2)[/tex]

Or

[tex]P=a*(-(n-5)^2+100)[/tex]

Or even

[tex]P=a*e^{-(n-5)^2}[/tex]

micromass said:
Hi clydas! :smile:

I'm not sure what you want to do with this, so I don't know if you will like the answer.

The trick is to change n with a function that takes a maximum in 5. For example

[tex]P=a*(-(n-5)^2)[/tex]

Or

[tex]P=a*(-(n-5)^2+100)[/tex]

Or even

[tex]P=a*e^{-(n-5)^2}[/tex]

Ah, now it seems obvious.

Thank you very much! Your answer is perfect!
Just for the record: I'm not that slow in math as it might appear, it's just that sometimes the most obvious of things are the least noticeable.

Thanks again!

1. What are specific values in equations?

Specific values in equations refer to the numerical values that are substituted for variables in a mathematical equation. These values can be either real numbers or symbolic constants and are used to solve the equation and determine the value of the variable.

2. Why are specific values important in equations?

Specific values are important in equations because they allow us to solve the equation and determine the value of the variable. This is essential in mathematical and scientific applications where precise calculations are needed.

3. How do you find specific values in equations?

To find specific values in equations, you need to substitute the given values for the variables in the equation. Then, simplify the equation to solve for the remaining variable. This will give you the specific value for that variable in the equation.

4. Can specific values in equations change?

Yes, specific values in equations can change depending on the given values for the variables. For example, if the values for the variables change, the specific value for the variable in the equation will also change.

5. What is the difference between specific values and general values in equations?

The main difference between specific values and general values in equations is that specific values are numerical values that are substituted for variables, while general values are symbolic representations of numbers or variables. Specific values are used to solve equations and determine the value of the variable, while general values are used to represent a range of values or unknown quantities in an equation.