Spectral filtering of RGB components -

• Thread starter rpswift
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, the conversation discusses an application involving narrow-band notch filtering of primary red, blue, and green wavelengths from a white-light source, with a potential use for filtering RGB from computer displays or LEDs. The filters are about 20 nm wide and may be used for quality control of LED and CRT displays. It is also mentioned that the spectral response of cones is broad and the spectral characteristics of pixel elements are unknown.
rpswift
My application involves narrow-band notch filtering of primary red, blue, and green wavelengths simultaneously from a white-light source. Will this yield greyscale output, black, or white? What if the light source is a RGB display? I understand that this may be a naive question - but it's outside my area and my E-M & Light course was long ago... Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your setup, exactly... for example, what's the detector(s)?

The detectors would be the eyes - sorry for the omission. This is still at the proof-of-concept stage, but we envision eyeglasses, goggles, or some other lense for this heads-up display. We want to filter the three primary colors (if possible) so that only the other visible regions can be "seen".

I'm still having trouble- you are using *notch* filters to selectively tune the output of a broadband source?

How wide (spectrally) are the filters?

Thanks, Andy, for your repsonse and apologies for my late reply.
Correct - notch filters with FWHM tbd - but say 20 nm or so; this is both to tune the broadband source (we don't care about any spectral frequencies outside the range of the human eye) and in a second application to filter RGB from common computer displays or LEDs. We are looking at unique/proprietary organometallic compounds with suitable optical properties.
So - if we apply the notch filter to RGB components of a white-light source, I expect that we'd see the range of complimentary colors? Similarly - it seems intuitive that the filter(s) to red, green, and blue LEDs, we would not see any visible light (depending upon the true spectral purity of the LED emissions?
One application may be in quality control of LED and CRT displays.
Thanks!

Interesting application...

If you applied the notch filters to a broadband source, I suspect it would still look white- the spectral response of your cones is quite broad.

I think using them as quality control elements for a tricolor display is a *very* intriguing idea. I don't know the spectral characteristics of the pixel elements, tho.

1. What is spectral filtering of RGB components?

Spectral filtering of RGB components is a process used to selectively filter out certain wavelengths of light in order to achieve a desired color or effect. It involves using specialized filters to manipulate the red, green, and blue components of light in order to create a specific color or remove unwanted colors from an image.

2. How does spectral filtering work?

Spectral filtering works by using filters that only allow certain wavelengths of light to pass through, while blocking others. This is achieved through the use of materials, such as colored glass or film, that absorb or reflect specific wavelengths of light. By filtering out certain wavelengths, the remaining light produces the desired color or effect.

3. What are the benefits of spectral filtering?

The benefits of spectral filtering include the ability to control and manipulate colors in an image, enhance contrast and sharpness, and remove unwanted colors or glare. It can also be used for scientific purposes, such as isolating specific wavelengths of light for research or analysis.

4. What are some common applications of spectral filtering?

Spectral filtering is commonly used in photography, film production, and scientific research. It can also be used in various industries, such as automotive, textile, and medical, to achieve specific colors or effects in products.

5. What is the difference between spectral filtering and color correction?

Spectral filtering and color correction are both methods used to manipulate colors in an image, but they differ in their approach. Spectral filtering involves physically filtering out certain wavelengths of light, while color correction involves digitally adjusting the color values of an image. Spectral filtering is often used for precise and targeted color adjustments, while color correction is more commonly used for overall color correction or enhancement.