How Should Light Be Illuminated in Spectrometer Designs for Liquid Analysis?

• I
  • Thread starter Getterdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation revolves around adapting a classical design spectroscope for astronomy to look at absorption spectra of liquids. The person has an adjustable slit and plans to buy a cuvette to hold the liquids. They have questions about the light transmission and illumination in a spectrometer, as well as suggestions for obtaining sharp absorption lines. They also discuss the use of a fluorescent lamp, noble gases, and interference filters. Additionally, they ask about a formula or rule of thumb for determining the distance between an extended light source and an aperture to achieve collimated light. The conversation concludes with a discussion on ensuring 'far field' conditions exist and the use of a lens to reduce the far-field distance.
Getterdog
TL;DR Summary
I need to know about light transmission through sample
Hi, I’ve built a classical design spectroscope for astronomy but with so many
cloudy days here,I like to adapt it to looking at absorption spectra of liquids.
i have an adjustable slit, and I’m going to buy a cuvette to hold the liquids. But my question is,
in a normal spectrometer, is collimated light shown through the sample,or is light focused with
a lens first,or does it even matter how it’s illuminated? Thanks john

Physics news on Phys.org
@Andy Resnick should be able to help you with this one. If you can't get a cuvette at a decent price, I'm sure there will be cheap, clear plastic containers with one flat side that could do the job. If your main interest is in astronomy there's no need to go wild on temporary equipment.

If you are looking in the direction of astronomy, eventually, then your sensing equipment will cope easily with what you can get from a Halogen lamp (probably the best spectrum you can get as a source).

Getterdog said:
Summary:: I need to know about light transmission through sample

Hi, I’ve built a classical design spectroscope for astronomy but with so many
cloudy days here,I like to adapt it to looking at absorption spectra of liquids.
i have an adjustable slit, and I’m going to buy a cuvette to hold the liquids. But my question is,
in a normal spectrometer, is collimated light shown through the sample,or is light focused with
a lens first,or does it even matter how it’s illuminated? Thanks john

AFAIK, in most spectrometer/fluorometer designs the sample is illuminated with collimated-ish light to maximize system performance in terms of obtaining precise spectra, but the basic designs can accommodate arbitrary illumination conditions.

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions for any liquid that has relatively sharp absorption lines.
I’m using a 1200l/mm reflection grating so I’m looking for the best resolution.

Getterdog said:
Thanks. Do you have any suggestions for any liquid that has relatively sharp absorption lines.
Sharp spectral lines only occur in gases. I don't know of any exceptions. Thing is, the Pauli Exclusion Principle forbids atoms in close proximity from sharing the same energy levels - so transitions will always be in broad bands of absorption. You could always look for gas absorption lines, locally. The gases wouldn't need to be particularly pure - you'd just need to spot the patterns of lines in amongst each other.

A fluorescent lamp will give a set of emission spectra above the phosphors. Any kind of noble gas (neon, or helium) at low pressure will give lines. I'll bet salt in a Bunsen burner would give a pretty good Sodium doublet. Reflected and attenuated laser light should be pretty sharp. If you can get an interference filter they can be very narrow band. You can also look at reflections if your optics is good.

sophiecentaur said:
Thing is, the Pauli Exclusion Principle forbids atoms in close proximity from sharing the same energy levels - so transitions will always be in broad bands of absorption.
? 🤨

Getterdog said:

'Sharp' is in the eye of the beholder :) and absorption lines are going to be more difficult to obtain than emission lines. Not sure of a good fluid to suggest, sorry.

DrClaude said:
? 🤨
Pauli governs the spectra of condensed matter; you cannot get lines - only bands. (I was answering the question about liquids with narrow absorption lines)

One additional question, related to my set up. Is anyone aware of a formula or rule of thumb
relating the size of an extended source to a distant aperture whereby the light passed By the aperture could be considered collimated? Thanks john

Getterdog said:
One additional question, related to my set up. Is anyone aware of a formula or rule of thumb
relating the size of an extended source to a distant aperture whereby the light passed By the aperture could be considered collimated? Thanks john

The usual approach is to compute the transverse coherence length (alternatively, the coherence area) of the beam:

eqns 3.15 and 3.16: https://staff.aist.go.jp/arimoto-h/Thesis/node15.html

Slide #6: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...460/25/11076&usg=AOvVaw17aWdHGz6wshh-6tWBU_PS

Thanks ,in reading over the link and further info on wikipedia,the c-z theorem seems to apply only if the angular
source is less than a degree or so . So it looks like if my source is 10 mm tall as the largest dimension then I need to be about 57cm away . Hope this is right. great link.

Getterdog said:
Thanks ,in reading over the link and further info on wikipedia,the c-z theorem seems to apply only if the angular
source is less than a degree or so . So it looks like if my source is 10 mm tall as the largest dimension then I need to be about 57cm away . Hope this is right. great link.

If I understand you, the main issue is ensuring 'far field' conditions exist; that minimum distance is typically estimated using the Fresnel number and can indeed be a lot longer than expected. In that context, a lens simply reduces the far-field distance to something more manageable.

1. How does a spectroscope work?

A spectroscope works by separating light into its component wavelengths, allowing scientists to analyze the different wavelengths present in a light source. This is typically achieved through the use of a prism or diffraction grating, which disperses the light into a spectrum.

2. What are the key components of a spectroscope?

The key components of a spectroscope include a light source, a collimating lens, a prism or diffraction grating, and a viewing eyepiece. Some spectroscope designs may also include a slit or adjustable slit to control the amount of light entering the device.

3. How is a spectroscope calibrated?

A spectroscope is typically calibrated by comparing the observed spectrum to a known spectrum, such as the spectrum of a standard light source. This allows scientists to ensure the accuracy of their measurements and adjust for any potential errors or deviations.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a spectroscope?

When designing a spectroscope, factors such as the desired wavelength range, resolution, and sensitivity must be considered. The type of light source and detector used, as well as the materials and optics used in the device, can also impact the design and performance of the spectroscope.

5. How can a spectroscope be optimized for specific applications?

To optimize a spectroscope for a specific application, the design may need to be tailored to meet the specific requirements of the experiment or analysis. This could include using a different type of light source, adjusting the optics, or incorporating additional features such as filters or polarizers to enhance the sensitivity or selectivity of the device.