Speed difference in the pulleys in a block and tackle setup

In summary, the conversation is about designing a block and tackle system for a machine. The system will be used to take up the slack in a loop of cordage and will only travel in one direction due to cam cleats. The question at hand is whether each pulley in the block needs its own bearing or if they can all be fixed on a shared axle. The person is feeling overwhelmed and has turned to the group for help. They also mention that the pulley closest to the "fixed" end should rotate slower than the side giving up the rope.
Rhettoric
I am designing a block and tackle system (because I can't think of anything more simple) to take up the slack in a loop of cordage for a machine I am tinkering on. The loop only travels in one direction due to a set of cam cleats.

I am trying to figure out if all the pulleys in a block need their own bearing or if I can fix them all on a shared axle. My mind is pretty fried at the moment and google isn't helping me out much so I figured I ask you guys :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
actually, i just realized that the pulley nearest the "fixed" end should rotate slower than the side giving up the rope.

please correct me if I am wrong.

1. What is a block and tackle setup?

A block and tackle setup is a mechanical system that utilizes multiple pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage of lifting heavy objects. It consists of a rope or cable threaded through a series of pulleys, with one end attached to a fixed point and the other end attached to the object being lifted.

2. What is the purpose of having different speeds in the pulleys of a block and tackle setup?

The different speeds in the pulleys of a block and tackle setup allow for a greater mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift heavy objects. By increasing the number of pulleys and changing their sizes, the force required to lift the object is spread out over a larger area, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

3. How does the speed difference in the pulleys affect the lifting process?

The speed difference in the pulleys allows the weight to be distributed evenly among the pulleys, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object. This also allows for a smoother and more controlled lifting process.

4. What factors determine the speed difference in the pulleys in a block and tackle setup?

The speed difference in the pulleys is determined by the number of pulleys used, the size and weight of the object being lifted, and the amount of force applied to the rope or cable. The mechanical advantage can be increased by adding more pulleys or using larger pulleys.

5. What are the advantages of using a block and tackle setup with different speeds in the pulleys?

The main advantage of using a block and tackle setup with different speeds in the pulleys is that it allows for a greater mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift heavy objects. This can also reduce the risk of injury for the person lifting the object, as the force required is spread out over a larger area. Additionally, the speed difference in the pulleys allows for a smoother and more controlled lifting process.