1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Speed, energy, power and air resistance

1. Apr 2, 2018 #1
    What is wrong here. If I double speed drag will be 4 times higher. The engine needs to put out approximately 4 times more power. Energy consumption will be 4 time higher for a specific time period. However if it is a fixed distance I will arrive in half the time an the energy consumption will therefore only double. Now if I look on the formula E=FxS (energy=Force x Distance) the force will be 4 times higher and therefore also the total energy needed. //Thanks

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2018 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, power (energy over a specific time) is 8x higher. Drag is 4x higher, and speed is 2x higher (or time is 1/2 as long).

4. Apr 2, 2018 #3
    Well, then it make sense. Not very intuitive (to me) that power increase that way in relation to drag.

5. May 18, 2018 #4
    the aerodynamic drag force is proportional to the square of the speed
    power required is : ( aerodynamic drag force overcome (+ rolling resistance if you want) ) * speed

if fuel consumption is energy consumed, is this power * time ?

6. May 18, 2018 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's correct...if you also include engine efficiency.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted