1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of a plane given distance and time equation.

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    an aircraft at an altitude of 10 000 m is flying at a constant speed on a line that will take it directly over an observer on the ground. if the observer notes that the angle of elevation o the aircraft is 60 degrees and is increasing at a rate of 1 degree per second find the speed of the plane in metres per second.

i got the formula for the equation as 10 000/(Tan (a+x))=m
    a=angle x=seconds m=metres across.

i cant think why it would be incorrect. the velocity is metres per second so delta M over Delta T or Delta y over Delta x (the gradient function)
    that didnt get me anywhere because i didnt know wat to sub in for the equation

then i simply took an m value and a x value and used the average velocity formula but as expected it changed.

plllllllllleeeassse i know the answer is staring me right in the face, im just temporaily blind. help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi brandy! :smile:

(have a delta: ∆ :wink:)
    hmm … your notation is horrible, and you've left out half of the rhs :frown:

you should have ∆x = v ∆t = 10 000/(Tan (60º + ∆t)) - 10 000/(Tan (60º)) :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook