1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of Clock

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the Home Frame, two events are observed to occur with a spatial separation of 12ns and a time coordination separation of 24ns.

A)An inertial clock travels between these events in such a manner as to be present at both events. What timer interval does this clock read between the events?

B)what is the speed of this clock, as measured in the Home Frame

2. Relevant equations

ΔS^2 = Δt^2 -Δd^2

3. The attempt at a solution

A) It sounds like the clock is a space-time clock so i assume i am solving for ΔS
    ΔS = square root of (24^2 - 12^2) = 20.78 ns

B) For B I did speed = distance/time so i did 12ns/20.78ns to get .58 which means its speed is .58C. Multiply this by 3x10^8 m/s and i get 1.74 m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2
    Part A is good. Part B, I'm not really sure what velocity you solved for. It's a velocity that doesn't make sense. You did v=d/t', these are mixed reference frame values. You need to have your reference frames match up with their own values to get the right velocity. As such, there's a couple different formulations for the velocity. One is easy, the other will give you a sanity check and some practice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook