Can impurities or density in glass affect the speed of light?

In summary, the speed of light, or the group velocity, in a medium such as glass is affected by the refractive index of the medium. However, the speed of individual photons remains constant and is not affected by imperfections or the density of the medium. It is the absorption and re-emission rate that changes with the medium, affecting the propagation speed of light.
knox_122
Take light in glass. What could slow it down. I know that stuff is asorbed and then reemmited, but what about imperfections in the glass its self?? Say you have a piece glass that has impurities(little defects), or the desity of glass(not optical), the actual wave length of light, or for giggles the how bright the light is? Would any of these affect the speed of light or would light simply travel around them?

Science news on Phys.org
None of those things (indeed, nothing) will affect the speed of the individual photons.

Well not nothing. The refractive index of a medium will decrease it. Right? The speed of light in glass is slower than in a vaccum. Right??

Danger said the speed of "photons".

The "speed of light" that you are indicating is the GROUP VELOCITY in the medium. This is the speed that is affected by the normal dispersive medium.

Zz.

No, the speed of the photons doesn't change. Sorry... I thought that you knew that from the wording in your first post. It's the absorbtion/re-emission rate, and therefore the propogation speed, that changes with the medium.

edit: Ooops! Didn't see you sneak in there, ZZ.

Danger said:
No, the speed of the photons doesn't change. Sorry... I thought that you knew that from the wording in your first post. It's the absorbtion/re-emission rate, and therefore the propogation speed, that changes with the medium.
edit: Ooops! Didn't see you sneak in there, ZZ.

Didn't mean to speak on your behalf there, Danger. But I wasn't sure if you were around to respond.

Zz.

Hey ZZ, you guys are the experts. I'm always hoping one of you will show up and give a definitive answer. I consider myself sort of a filler-of-space so the kids don't feel neglected before you arrive.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter c, is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. In other words, it is the fastest possible speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel.

2. Who discovered the speed of light?

The concept of the speed of light has been studied and theorized by many scientists throughout history, including Galileo, Newton, and Maxwell. However, it was the famous physicist Albert Einstein who presented a comprehensive theory of the speed of light in his theory of relativity in 1905.

3. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for any object or information to travel faster than the speed of light. This is known as the cosmic speed limit and is a fundamental principle in our universe.

4. How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light is typically measured using a variety of methods, including the time it takes for light to travel a known distance, such as in the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. It can also be calculated using the relationship between the speed of light and other physical constants, such as the permittivity and permeability of free space.

5. Has the speed of light always been the same?

Based on our current understanding of physics, the speed of light has remained constant throughout the history of the universe. However, some scientists have proposed theories that suggest the possibility of the speed of light changing over time, but this is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.