Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of light question.

1. Nov 5, 2005 #1
    Take light in glass. What could slow it down. I know that stuff is asorbed and then reemmited, but what about imperfections in the glass its self?? Say you have a piece glass that has impurities(little defects), or the desity of glass(not optical), the actual wave length of light, or for giggles the how bright the light is??? Would any of these affect the speed of light or would light simply travel around them???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

None of those things (indeed, nothing) will affect the speed of the individual photons.

4. Nov 5, 2005 #3
    Well not nothing. The refractive index of a medium will decrease it. Right? The speed of light in glass is slower than in a vaccum. Right??

5. Nov 5, 2005 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Danger said the speed of "photons".

The "speed of light" that you are indicating is the GROUP VELOCITY in the medium. This is the speed that is affected by the normal dispersive medium.

Zz.

6. Nov 5, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

No, the speed of the photons doesn't change. Sorry... I thought that you knew that from the wording in your first post. It's the absorbtion/re-emission rate, and therefore the propogation speed, that changes with the medium.

edit: Ooops! Didn't see you sneak in there, ZZ.

7. Nov 5, 2005 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Didn't mean to speak on your behalf there, Danger. But I wasn't sure if you were around to respond.

Zz.

8. Nov 5, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Hey ZZ, you guys are the experts. I'm always hoping one of you will show up and give a definitive answer. I consider myself sort of a filler-of-space so the kids don't feel neglected before you arrive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?