Light & Radiation: The Curious Idiot

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of light slowing down when traveling through air due to the electric and magnetic forces within the air. The question is posed whether this effect also occurs when traveling through fields of radiation or heavy magnetism. The speaker also requests a link or paper to further understand the concept. Another individual suggests looking up the refractive index for more information.
qwerty1
I know that light "slows down" when traveling through air (doesn't really slow down but travels further because it traverses 'around' the atoms) but does this effect appear when it travels through fields of radiation and or heavy magnetism? just curious... and I AM an idiot if you're wondering... lead paint chips are tasty... mmmmmm...

Science news on Phys.org
yes.

LostConjugate said:
yes.
could you be a good chap and maybe send a link to a public paper or the like that shows the results of experiments?

again i am not bright and can never find these things myself...

It is the electric and magnetic forces within air that cause light to slow down, so electric and magnetic fields could cause the same effect. Not sure if a constant magnetic field would. Someone here should have a better explanation, sorry can't think of a good article on the subject.

LostConjugate said:
It is the electric and magnetic forces within air that cause light to slow down, so electric and magnetic fields could cause the same effect. Not sure if a constant magnetic field would. Someone here should have a better explanation, sorry can't think of a good article on the subject.

no worries... i appreciate the reply!

look up refractive index

Q: What is light and radiation?

Light and radiation are forms of energy that travel in the form of waves or particles. Light is a type of electromagnetic radiation and is visible to the human eye. Radiation is a broader term that includes both electromagnetic and particle radiation.

Q: What is the difference between light and radiation?

The main difference between light and radiation is their wavelength. Light has a shorter wavelength and is visible to the human eye, while radiation has a longer wavelength and is often invisible. Additionally, light is a type of radiation, but not all radiation is light.

Q: How is light and radiation produced?

Light and radiation can be produced in a variety of ways. Light is often produced through the emission of photons by atoms or molecules. Radiation can be produced through radioactive decay, nuclear reactions, or the movement of charged particles.

Q: What are the properties of light and radiation?

The properties of light and radiation include wavelength, frequency, speed, and polarization. These properties can affect how light and radiation behave and interact with matter.

Q: What are the practical applications of light and radiation?

Light and radiation have numerous practical applications in various fields such as medicine, communication, and energy production. For example, radiation is used in medical treatments, and light is used for communication through fiber optics. They are also used in technologies such as solar panels and x-ray machines.