Speed of pendulum at certain angles

In summary: L=1, sorry.By choosing a magic number for L you have thrown away an important part of the relationship. The speed cannot be independent of L, can it, so you should include the length even if you later happen to give it a value of 1m, 1cm, 1km.
Bronzer
I'm having no problem finding the maximum speed of a pendulum but I'm not sure when I move its start point and measure point.

I would like to know the speed of a pendulum at 30 degrees that has been dropped at 140 Degrees. I'm just giving some numbers to explain that it is above the horizontal and doesn't pass through equilibrium.

Any thought's on this would be useful.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to give more background. Where are you in school? What math have you taken?

Out of school, AS level Math.

This isn't homework, just a practical problem I'm trying to get my head around.

All of my usual point of calls don't like pendulums that go above the horizontal (I guess GCSE assumes it's made of string) and I can only find equations for Vmax.

As with many such problems, you can either approach this problem by considering the Forces involved or by considering the Energy transfer. The Maths is pretty straightforward if you work out the change in gravitational potential energy and the corresponding gain in Kinetic Energy. That is an enormous clue!
That assumes the pendulum uses a solid rod (like most practical pendulums, aamof) If you want to assume string then you would have to know an awful lot more about the set up - the shape of the bob, for instance.

Likes anorlunda
sophiecentaur said:
As with many such problems, you can either approach this problem by considering the Forces involved or by considering the Energy transfer. The Maths is pretty straightforward if you work out the change in gravitational potential energy and the corresponding gain in Kinetic Energy. That is an enormous clue!
That assumes the pendulum uses a solid rod (like most practical pendulums, aamof) If you want to assume string then you would have to know an awful lot more about the set up - the shape of the bob, for instance.
Right, so if I take energy of pendulum equation as

PE = mgL(1 – COS θ)

Mass should be irrelevant for this(?)

9.81*1*(1-cos(140))=13.2
9.81*1*(1-cos(30))=7.5

= 5.7j change

KE=1/2mv^2
2KE=mv^2
sqrt(2KE)=mv

Ignore M, so that V = sqrt(2*5.7)
=3.38m/s

Is that looking ok?

You lost L somewhere? But that's the sort of thing I meant.

Yeah L=1, sorry.

By choosing a magic number for L you have thrown away an important part of the relationship. The speed cannot be independent of L, can it, so you should include the length even if you later happen to give it a value of 1m, 1cm, 1km.

Related to Speed of pendulum at certain angles

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a pendulum at a certain angle?

The formula for calculating the speed of a pendulum at a certain angle is v = √(2gh(1-cosθ)), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the pendulum, and θ is the angle of the pendulum from its equilibrium position.

2. Does the mass of the pendulum affect its speed at a certain angle?

No, the mass of the pendulum does not affect its speed at a certain angle. The speed of a pendulum is only dependent on its length, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which it is released.

3. What factors affect the speed of pendulum at a certain angle?

The speed of a pendulum at a certain angle is affected by its length, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which it is released. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also have a small impact on the speed.

4. How does the speed of a pendulum change as the angle increases?

As the angle of a pendulum increases, the speed also increases. This is because the potential energy of the pendulum is converted into kinetic energy as it swings, and the higher the angle, the more potential energy is converted. However, as the angle approaches 90 degrees, the speed decreases as the potential energy approaches zero.

5. Can the speed of a pendulum at a certain angle be greater than the speed of light?

No, the speed of a pendulum at a certain angle cannot be greater than the speed of light. The speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe. The speed of a pendulum is much slower and is limited by factors such as air resistance and friction.