Speed of Proton at 750keV Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of a proton after being accelerated to a kinetic energy of 750keV. The equations used are E=K+E0, E0=mc^2, K=(gamma-1)mc^2, and gamma=1/(sqroot(1-v^2/c^2)). The attempt at a solution involves converting K into joules and using the simplified equation 1/(gamma-1)=mc^2/K. However, the derivation leads to a square root of a negative number, which is undefined. The suggestion is made to use symbols throughout the derivation to make it easier to trace errors.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

What is the speed of a proton after being accelerated to a kinetic energy of 750keV?

Homework Equations

E=K+E0
E0=mc^2
K=(gamma-1)mc^2
gamma=1/(sqroot(1-v^2/c^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so to find the speed, I used the equation:

K=(gamma-1)mc^2
which i simplified to:
1/(gamma-1)=mc^2/K

I converted K into joules which is equal to 1.202E-13 J
and what I ended up getting was that
sqroot(1-v^2/c^2) - 1=1250.42
but if i continue on with that I will need to take the square root of a negative number because i will bring v^2/c^2 to the right side and then I would have to do 1-1250.42 and take the square root of that which is undefined. Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do yourself a favor and use symbols throughout your derivation. Plug in at the very end. It would be easier to trace your error(s) if you did. As it is, I cannot figure out what that 1250.42 means or where it came from. If you have gotten to the stage of special relativity you should be able to handle expressions symbolically. Doing so enables you to find your mistakes much more easily through dimensional analysis.

1. What is the speed of a proton at 750keV kinetic energy?

The speed of a proton at 750keV kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula v = √(2KE/m), where v is the speed, KE is the kinetic energy, and m is the mass of the proton. Plugging in the values, the speed of the proton would be approximately 0.9897 times the speed of light, which is equivalent to 294,902,095 meters per second.

2. How does the speed of a proton at 750keV kinetic energy compare to the speed of light?

The speed of a proton at 750keV kinetic energy is about 99% of the speed of light. This makes it extremely fast and close to the maximum speed possible in the universe.

3. Why is the speed of a proton at 750keV kinetic energy important in science?

The speed of a proton at 750keV kinetic energy is important in science because it can help us understand the behavior and interactions of particles at high energies. Protons at this speed are often used in particle accelerators to study the fundamental building blocks of matter.

4. Can the speed of a proton at 750keV kinetic energy be increased?

Yes, the speed of a proton at 750keV kinetic energy can be increased by accelerating it with an electric field or by increasing its kinetic energy through collisions with other particles. However, due to the theory of relativity, it is impossible to accelerate a particle with mass to the speed of light.

5. How does the speed of a proton at 750keV kinetic energy affect its penetration power?

The speed of a proton at 750keV kinetic energy is directly related to its penetration power. As the speed of a particle increases, its penetration power also increases. This is because faster particles have more energy, allowing them to penetrate deeper into materials before losing their energy. This is why protons at high speeds are used in medical treatments for cancer, as they can penetrate deep into tissues to target cancer cells while minimizing damage to surrounding healthy cells.