Spherical balloon with conductive coating

In summary, the sphere can be inflated to a diameter of 0.1 meters by applying a voltage of 2 x 10^6 volts/meter. This will create a pressure of 100,000V on the surface.
meteorologist1
Hi, I have no idea of how to do the following problem and what formulas I should use. Please help! Thank you.

A spherical balloon has a conductive coating and we propose to inflate the balloon to a diameter of 0.1 meters by connecting the surface to a high voltage source. Suppose that the maximum practical electric field at the surface is 2 x 10^6 volts/meter (in air, just before breakdown of air molecules). What is the largest voltage we can apply, and what is the outward pressure (N/meters^2)? How many atmospheres is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
meteorologist1 said:
Hi, I have no idea of how to do the following problem and what formulas I should use. Please help! Thank you.

A spherical balloon has a conductive coating and we propose to inflate the balloon to a diameter of 0.1 meters by connecting the surface to a high voltage source. Suppose that the maximum practical electric field at the surface is 2 x 10^6 volts/meter (in air, just before breakdown of air molecules). What is the largest voltage we can apply, and what is the outward pressure (N/meters^2)? How many atmospheres is this?

Find the total charge Q on the sphere in terms of the electric field - gauss' law works here.

Then find the voltage on the surface of the sphere in terms of Q... plug in Q from the first part, to get the voltage.

Ok I understand the first part -- I can find the charge from Gauss's Law. For the second part, I'm still not sure what equation I should use. Should I use the equation W=QV or some other work equation? What about the outward pressure?

Ok when I try it: using 1) E = kq/r^2 and 2) V = kq/r, I get V = Er = (2 x 10^6 volts/m)(0.1 m) = 2 x 10^-7 volts. This procedure looks too simple. Is it right?

meteorologist1 said:
Ok when I try it: using 1) E = kq/r^2 and 2) V = kq/r, I get V = Er = (2 x 10^6 volts/m)(0.1 m) = 2 x 10^-7 volts. This procedure looks too simple. Is it right?

Yes, those two formulas work because of the symmetry involved. But r=0.05m, so V=Er=2*10^6*0.05=100,000V.

I'm not sure about the pressure part... if Force on a small area dA is F=(sigma*dA)E (where sigma is charge density)... And then you can find pressure by F/dA.

But using F=(sigma*dA)E seems wrong to me as the charges are located inside the conductor where electric field is zero... Not sure here. Sorry!

1. What is a spherical balloon with conductive coating?

A spherical balloon with conductive coating is a type of balloon that has a thin layer of conductive material, such as metal, applied to its surface. This coating allows the balloon to conduct electricity and can be used for various purposes, such as scientific experiments or weather forecasting.

2. How is a spherical balloon with conductive coating made?

To make a spherical balloon with conductive coating, a regular balloon is first inflated and then coated with a conductive material, such as aluminum or copper. This can be done through various methods, including spraying or painting the coating onto the surface of the balloon.

3. What are the uses of a spherical balloon with conductive coating?

A spherical balloon with conductive coating has several uses, including as a weather balloon for collecting data on atmospheric conditions, as a tool for studying static electricity and electric fields, and as a component in scientific experiments involving gases and electricity.

4. How does the conductive coating affect the properties of the balloon?

The conductive coating on a spherical balloon can change its properties in several ways. It can make the balloon more conductive, allowing it to hold an electric charge and interact with electric fields. It can also change the weight and buoyancy of the balloon, which can affect its flight and behavior in different environments.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a spherical balloon with conductive coating?

Yes, there are some safety concerns with using a spherical balloon with conductive coating. The coating can make the balloon more conductive, which can increase the risk of electric shock if not handled properly. It is important to follow safety precautions and guidelines when using these balloons, especially when dealing with electricity.