1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical capaciter question

1. Oct 27, 2006 #1
    Say you have a spherical conductor with radius 1 with charge -Q inside of another larger spherical conductor(with radius 2 to the inside edge of the conductor)with a charge +Q at the inside surface, what's the capacitance?

I used Gauss' law to find E in between the two conductors, then integrated with respect to r to find the change in potential, and did Q/that=C

I'm pretty sure I got the right actual answer, it was like 8*pi*Eo...and maybe something else(Eo is that constant), I don't remember off hand(this was on a test I took this morning)but my question...should it be positive or negative? That really confused me and I had all kinds of negatives floating around and finally fixed it up so that C came out positive, and it looked like it made sense

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Capacitance is always a positive value. Is that what you mean?

4. Oct 27, 2006 #3
    it is? Good then, that's what I figured at the time, but I got to thinking afterwards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?