Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spiders On LSD

1. Apr 28, 2003 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder if they see humans crawling on their skin when they go through withdrawl.
  4. May 2, 2003 #3
    I seem to remember something like that at my high school library, Time-Life Encyclopedia or something. Did it convince anyone to stop using? Doubtful, it was the early 70's. Reaction was more likely to be on the order of; "Whoa! Man! Cooool"
  5. May 2, 2003 #4

Science Advisor

The two questions that immediately cone to mind are;

1)How much of my money did the Government spend scoring acid for spiders?

2)How the HECK did they find a vein?!
  6. May 3, 2003 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't need a vein for LSD; it absorbs right through the skin. They fed LSD-dosed flies to the spiders (presumably caught with LSD-dosed flypaper).
  7. May 3, 2003 #6
    As for the American government scoring acid, well thats easy. The Pres just calls the Director of the CIA. They are the ones who financed the early R+D on LSD. Probably still have some stock on hand in the back store room.
  8. May 3, 2003 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, and I thought he just called his fraternity...
  9. May 3, 2003 #8
    the goverment did the LSD tests in new york and san fran people who liked the LSD told others about this groviey stuff and the freeks were born with the CIA as the dad

not the only CIA drug dealing tho the CIA in v-nam area/era with junk[heroin] in 60's and centrial america in the contra's and coke[cocane] dealing led to the crack all over our streets cheap in the 80's

if uncle sam had just said NO to DRUGS we would be better off now

but I guess the LSD had the less harmfull results, at least it is nontoxic
    so no derect deaths anyway

and harmless pot is still the opject of most law inforcement efforts today

maybe it is better to JUST SAY NO to GOVERMENT then NO wars or stupid laws, or othe PIG BS
  10. May 7, 2003 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is difficult to tell with the lighting used, but the web made on LSD looks a little more efficient than the baseline. The spacing between radial strands appears to be a little wider, but the series of circular strands are either badly lighted, or they could be thinner than those in the other webs. If I am seeing this correctly...I wonder if the lsd web was as effective as the reference.

I have seen a similar series of photos but not for drugs. One gets similar results by simply destroying the web regularly. Each reconstruction gets worse. I wonder if they used the same spider here each time. If so, what a week that spider must have had.

Tom: good one!...seeing humans crawling on his skin...you kill me! Question. Do spiders have skin? Also, what do you think? Really. Can spiders hallucinate? What a concept.

A friend pointed out that we shouldn’t knock the caffeine driven web. It may look bad, but it was done in half the time and with a great attitude!

Last edited: May 7, 2003
  11. May 7, 2003 #10
    There's actually a whole cottage, uh, subfield that was devoted to giving various drugs to spiders and looking at their web patterns. I have pharmacology books with pictures of spiderwebs made on LSD, cocaine, alcohol, qualuudes, etc. It's pretty amusing, and you can convince yourself the web patterns vaguely "make sense" given the characteristics of the drugs in question. I can prob find web refs if anyone wants, PM me, I don't normally check this forum. :smile:
  12. May 8, 2003 #11

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I was going to comment that the Caffeine spider, the spider on the drug which is most proliferant in our society, looked by far the worst.

13. May 8, 2003 #12
    Government LSD

LSD has played an interesting role with our government in the past. If anybody has read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test much of their tests with civilians is recounted through Ken Kesey.

What I thought was...well...disturbing was the cia's involvement with the drug. It was being tested as a mind controlling device and was even tested on small villages in southeast asia. The idea was, saturate a water supply with the drug and you could take the village with no shots fired...this obviously failed.

Previous to that when the Cia first got ahold of LSD they tried it on a select group of operators. 12 if my memmory serves me...it may not though....i wonder why. anyways back to the CIA. After each of these select few had been dosed they got a little bored. So they started secretly dosing people in the office. I remember reading one story about a guy who had a large dose on a pin or something like that...while ridding in the elevator his pricked some passenger. Then he told the group and they observed the poor soul throught the trip...loads more on stuff like this.

ahh good ol LSD the heaven hell drug.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?