Spin-1/2 systems, Spinor representation

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between kets written as | \uparrow \rangle, | \downarrow \rangle and | \uparrow \uparrow \rangle, | \uparrow \downarrow \rangle, | \downarrow \uparrow \rangle, | \downarrow \downarrow \rangle, specifically in the context of a system of two spin-1/2 particles prepared in the singlet state. The provided solution involves projecting a projection operator onto the possible eigenstates of S_z for the first particle, and then forming a tensor product to represent the two-particle system. This process is used to find the probability of measuring the first particle and finding it to be spin-up.
logic smogic
I'm totally confused on the relationship between kets written

[tex]| \uparrow \rangle, | \downarrow \rangle[/tex]

and

[tex]| \uparrow \uparrow \rangle, | \uparrow \downarrow \rangle | \downarrow \uparrow \rangle, | \downarrow \downarrow \rangle[/tex]

(Problem) I have a system of two spin-1/2 particles, prepared in the singlet state, and I'd like to find the probability of measuring the first one and finding it to be spin-up. This being a homework problem from last week, I have the provided solution, but I don't understand it.

(Attempt at Solution) I know it is 50%, simply because no other measurements have been made of the system, and there's an equal chance of it being up or down, given that the singlet state can be described as:

[tex] |s=0,m=0\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (| \uparrow \downarrow \rangle - | \downarrow \uparrow \rangle) [/tex]

...but I'd like to illustrate it using bra-ket notation. The solution says to project [tex] | \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow | [/tex] onto the possible eigenstates of S_z for the first particle

[tex] (| \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow | + | \downarrow \rangle \langle \downarrow |)[/tex],

to get...

[tex]| \uparrow \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow \uparrow | + | \uparrow \downarrow \rangle \langle \uparrow \downarrow |[/tex]

First off, "projecting" here means matrix multiplication, right? (or direct product?) Second, how do we move from kets representing spin for one particle, to kets representing spin for two particles?

All help in understanding this is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
logic smogic said:
(Attempt at Solution) I know it is 50%, simply because no other measurements have been made of the system, and there's an equal chance of it being up or down, given that the singlet state can be described as:

[tex] |s=0,m=0\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (| \uparrow \downarrow \rangle - | \downarrow \uparrow \rangle) [/tex]

...but I'd like to illustrate it using bra-ket notation.
Just apply the general rule: Find the operator P which projects on the eigenspace of S_z corresponding to the eigenvalue +1. (Actually the operator is [itex]S_z^{(1)}\otimes I^{(2)}[/itex]. We're leaving the second particle alone). Then, if your state is [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex], the probability of finding +1 is then [itex]\langle \psi|P^{(1)}_{+1}| \psi \rangle[/itex].
Going back to the postulates usually gets you where you want to go if you lost your way.

The solution says to project [tex] | \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow | [/tex] onto the possible eigenstates of S_z for the first particle
[tex] (| \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow | + | \downarrow \rangle \langle \downarrow |)[/tex],

to get...

[tex]| \uparrow \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow \uparrow | + | \uparrow \downarrow \rangle \langle \uparrow \downarrow |[/tex]
You project a projection operator [tex] | \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow | [/tex]?
Onto [tex] (| \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow | + | \downarrow \rangle \langle \downarrow |)[/tex]? This last expression is just the identity.

What I'm pretty sure is meant is that you form the projection operator I mentioned earlier. The projector [itex]| \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow |[/itex] lives in the space of the first particle. The projector [tex] (| \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow | + | \downarrow \rangle \langle \downarrow |)=I^{(2)}[/tex] lives in the space of the second particle. You form the tensor product of those two, minding the order, since the labels for particles 1 and 2 are the same in the notation used:
[tex] | \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow |\otimes (| \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow | + | \downarrow \rangle \langle \downarrow |) = | \uparrow \uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow \uparrow | + | \uparrow \downarrow \rangle \langle \uparrow \downarrow |[/tex]
This is the required projection. In general, if you measure [tex]A \otimes B[/tex], the probability of getting [tex](a,b)[/itex] is gotten from the projection operator [itex]P_a \otimes P_b[/itex], where the P's are ofcourse the projection upon the eigenspaces belonging to a and b.
Looking at it from a more general viewpoint often elucidates the structure, especially if it's your first encounter with product spaces.
First off, "projecting" here means matrix multiplication, right? (or direct product?) Second, how do we move from kets representing spin for one particle, to kets representing spin for two particles?
You form the tensor product of the two state spaces. It consists of products of kets |1>|2>, where |1> is a ket for the first space and |2> for the second, and linear combinations thereof. I know some textbooks, like Griffiths, don't go into this very much, taking it as the obvious generalization to systems with higher degrees of freedom.

PS: The following notations are all used frequently and mean the same thing:
[tex]|v\rangle \otimes |w\rangle=|v\rangle|w\rangle=|v,w\rangle[/tex]
Just keep in mind in which space each ket lives in if there is no specific label to distinguish them. In general the order doesn't matter, but without a label that is the only way to keep |v>|w> and |w>|v> apart.

Last edited:

FAQ: Spin-1/2 systems, Spinor representation

What is a spin-1/2 system?

A spin-1/2 system refers to a quantum mechanical system that has a spin of 1/2. Spin is an intrinsic property of particles, and it can have values of either half-integer or integer. Spin-1/2 systems are commonly used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of elementary particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

What is the spinor representation?

The spinor representation is a mathematical tool used to describe the spin state of a particle in quantum mechanics. It is a vector or matrix representation that describes the spin state of a particle in terms of its spin quantum number and its orientation with respect to a given axis. In spin-1/2 systems, the spinor representation is typically a 2x1 or 1x2 matrix.

What is the significance of spin-1/2 systems in physics?

Spin-1/2 systems have significant implications in various branches of physics, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. They help us understand the intrinsic properties of particles and their behavior in different physical systems. Spin-1/2 systems also play a crucial role in modern technologies, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spintronics.

How are spin-1/2 systems represented in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, spin-1/2 systems are represented using the Pauli spin matrices, which are 2x2 matrices that correspond to the spin operators for the x, y, and z directions. These matrices are used to describe the spin state of a particle and its interaction with external fields. The spin-1/2 state of a particle can be represented as a linear combination of spin-up and spin-down states using these matrices.

What is the difference between spin-1/2 systems and spin-1 systems?

The main difference between spin-1/2 systems and spin-1 systems is their spin quantum number. Spin-1/2 systems have a spin quantum number of 1/2, while spin-1 systems have a spin quantum number of 1. This means that spin-1/2 systems can have two possible spin states (spin-up and spin-down), while spin-1 systems can have three possible spin states (spin-up, spin-down, and spin-zero). This difference in spin quantum number also affects the behavior and properties of these systems in different physical environments.