Can a Rotation of 180º Leave a Spin-2 System Hamiltonian Unchanged?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the task of showing that a rotation of 180º around the x-axis leaves the hamiltonian unchanged. The suggested method is to use the baker-hausdorff formula, but the details get messy. Another approach is to find the matrix representation of the spin components and use series expansion for the exponential. It is also mentioned that the problem in the book is relatively small and can be solved by inspection. The conversation concludes with the realization that not all spin components can be diagonalized at the same time, but the rotation by 180º about the x-axis leaves the first part of the hamiltonian unchanged.
shetland
For S = 2, I have the following hamiltonian,
[tex] H=a \left( 2\,{S}^{2}-4\,{S_{{z}}}^{2} \right) +4\,b \left( (\left { S_+}^{3}) +({S_-}^{3})
[/tex]I'm to show that a rotation of 180º,

[tex]e^{-i \pi S_x/ \hbar}[/tex]

leaves the hamiltonian unchanged.

I started thinking I could use the baker-hausdorff formula, but now not so sure - you would get something like, H + commutation terms. The first would be obvious zero, [Sx, S^2], but the other ones get messy.
Is the way to do this to find the matrix rep for Sx, S+, S-, then you would have the hamiltonian in matrix rep, along with the operator, and then do the series expansion for the exp?
I guess this would satisfy another part to this quesiton, which is to get the rep for Dm'm matrix. But it seems to me that one should be able to answer the first part without directly calculating the matrix?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is an easy task when you remember that the [tex] S_i [/tex] transform as vector under rotations. How do the components of a vector change under rotation by [tex] 180^\circ [/tex] about the x-axis?

Edit: Ok, great. Now everything is fine.

Last edited:
Monkey,

I guess I'm tired. I looked a bit closer - the problem in the book is quite small. I have a misplaced parenthesis now - so you can do this by inspection, right?

We know the value of [tex]S_i[/tex] is 2[tex]\hbar[/tex], so that the rotation is then [tex]2\pi[/tex], which brings the system back to original.

You don't actually know what the "value" of the spin components are. In fact, they can't all be diagonalized so they can't all have definite values at the same time. However, you can definitely do it by inspection. Like I said, if I rotate by [tex] 180^\circ [/tex] degress about the x-axis, how do vector components changes. Cleary the x component is unchanged so you have [tex] U S_x U^\dag = S_x [/tex]. What happens to [tex] S_y [/tex] and [tex] S_z [/tex]?

right. I'm not thinking. Of course they can't all be diagonalized. Thanks.

I thought about it as you suggested, clearly y and z are rotated by [tex]\cos{\pi}[/tex], z-> -z, y-> -y. For the first part of the hamiltonian, obviously S_z^2is unchanged, as is S^2, so its just a matter of the S± terms. I guess I can see since S± = S_x ± iS_y that the net result is to leave H unchanged (since the Sy terms cancel one another due to the ±?

Last edited:

1. What is a Spin-2 system?

A Spin-2 system is a physical system that has a spin quantum number of 2. This means that the system has two intrinsic angular momenta, one of which is associated with the spin of the system and the other with its orbital angular momentum.

2. How is spin-2 related to rotation?

Spin-2 is related to rotation through the concept of angular momentum. In classical mechanics, angular momentum is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is quantized and can only take on certain values, including spin-2.

3. What are the properties of a Spin-2 system?

A Spin-2 system has two main properties: its spin and its orientation. The spin of the system determines the angular momentum and the orientation describes the direction of the spin. These properties play a crucial role in determining the behavior of the system.

4. How does a Spin-2 system behave under rotation?

A Spin-2 system behaves differently under rotation compared to systems with lower spin values. This is because the system has more angular momentum and is more sensitive to changes in orientation. This can result in interesting phenomena such as precession and nutation.

5. What is the significance of Spin-2 systems in physics?

Spin-2 systems have significant importance in physics, particularly in quantum field theory and particle physics. For example, certain particles such as gravitons are predicted to have a spin of 2. Additionally, the study of Spin-2 systems can provide insights into the fundamental nature of space and time.