1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin Chains - H eigenvalues

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Same problem as this old post
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=188714

What I'm having problems with is determining the [tex]H_{ij}[/tex] components of the Hamiltonian of a one dimension N site spin chain. And then getting out somehow energy value to prove

[tex]
    \lim_{n->\inf}\frac{E_{0}}{N} = \ln{2}+ \frac{1}{4}
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

The hamitonian of the spin chain

[tex]
    \sum^{k=0}_{N-1}[H_{z}(k)+H_{f}(k)]
    [/tex]

where

[tex]
    H_{z}(k)=S^{z}(k)S^{z}(k+1)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    H_{f}(k)=\frac{1}{2}[S^{+}(k)S^{-}(k+1)+S^{-}(k)S^{+}(k+1)]
    [/tex]

The above can be gain from determing Sx and Sy from the rasing and lowering operators.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can see that at any site location within a state ,( a state is some configuration of site which hold either +- 1/2), the hamilotinan will pull out these eigenvalues.

[tex]
    H|...\uparrow\uparrow... \rangle = S^{z}(k)S^{z}(k+1)|...\uparrow\uparrow... \rangle
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = S^{z}(k)\frac{1}{2}|...\uparrow\uparrow ...\rangle =\frac{1}{4}|...\uparrow\uparrow ...\rangle
    [/tex]

And for the other possible combinations

[tex]
    H|...\uparrow\downarrow... \rangle = -\frac{1}{4}|...\uparrow\downarrow ...\rangle + \frac{1}{2}|...\downarrow\uparrow... \rangle
    [/tex]

[tex]
    H|...\downarrow\uparrow ...\rangle = -\frac{1}{4}|...\downarrow\uparrow... \rangle + \frac{1}{2}|...\uparrow\downarrow... \rangle
    [/tex]

[tex]
    H|...\downarrow\downarrow...\rangle = \frac{1}{4}|...\downarrow\downarrow...\rangle
    [/tex]

But then finding the energy values ( taking the [tex]<\phi | H|\phi >[/tex] )
    will lead all states to having the same energy which is not correct. So either I've missed somthing or computing the H matrix incorrectly.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Surely you mean:

[tex]H= \sum_{k=1}^{N}[H_{z}(k)+H_{f}(k)][/tex]

Right?

This makes no sense to me...All N particles can each be in the up or down state, and the Hamiltonian acts on all N particles... you can't just pick out two particles in a chain and calculate the effect of [itex]H[/itex] that way...You can however, say [itex]H(k)|...\uparrow\uparrow... \rangle = \frac{1}{4}|...\uparrow\uparrow... \rangle[/itex] and so on, for [itex]H(k)=H_z(k)+H_f(k)[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  4. Oct 28, 2009 #3
    Yep your right.

I was trying to show what the spin operators pulls out for a particular pairing but mucked up in notation. I think going through a couple of examples may get my head around this.

Here the first one with N = 3 and considering periodic boundary condition.

[tex]
    H|\uparrow\downarrow\uparrow\rangle =
    H_z|\uparrow\downarrow\uparrow\rangle +
    H_f|\uparrow\downarrow\uparrow\rangle
    [/tex]

[tex]
    =
    (-\frac{1}{4} -\frac{1}{4}+ \frac{1}{4} )|\uparrow\downarrow\uparrow\rangle +
    \frac{1}{2} ( |\downarrow\uparrow\uparrow\rangle +|\uparrow\uparrow\downarrow\rangle)
    [/tex]

I'm not actually sure how to get the energy value with the [tex]H_f [/tex] terms eigenstates. Do i just add up all the co-efficient?

Edit
    I think I've got it now. I'll be back if I can't get the eigenvalues from the Hamiltonian.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook