How does the expectation value of the spin operator evolve over time?

In summary, the expectation value of the spin operator evolves over time according to the equation: e^{-i \frac{\phi ( \hat{n} \cdot \sigma )}{2}} \sigma_i e^{i \frac{\phi ( \hat{n} \cdot \sigma )}{2}} = [R_{ \hat{n} }]_{ij} \sigma_j.
Garlic
Gold Member
Dear PF,

As an excercise I am to find out how the expectation value of the spin operator evolves over time.

There was a hint, stating that it is enough to show that
$$
e^{i \frac{\phi ( \hat{n} \cdot \sigma )}{2}} \sigma_i e^{- i \frac{\phi ( \hat{n} \cdot \sigma )}{2}} = [R_{ \hat{n} }]_{ij} \sigma_j
$$
Where ## R_{ \hat{n} } ## is a 3x3 matrix that describes a rotation with the angle Φ around the n axis.

In the last exercise we showed that putting a vector between these exponantial terms, we get a rotated vector.

In the given equation the free parameter is the angle, where the spin expectation value would evolve over time.

-So I don't quite get how showing that equation holds would tell us how the spin expectation value evolves over time.

Also: In the exercise it was written S-vector, I was surprised because usually it is asked to find the expectation value of S_z.
The expectation value of S_z would be ±hbar/2.
And when we search for the expectation value of S-vector, I think of a "vector inside a unit sphere" pointing in a specific direction, and this spin vector would somehow rotate over time.

-Am I thinking in the right way?

-In Griffiths I could not find much information about the time evolution of spin over time. Do you know a source where I can find more explanations about this subject?

Thank you very much for your time,

Garli

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that your description is accurate enough to answer it thoroughly. You have at least to tell us with respect to which state you are supposed to evaluate the expectation value.

In the second part you claim that the expectation value of ##S_z## is constant ##\pm \hbar/2##. This indicates that you choose ##\hat{n}=\hat{e}_z##. Then ##\hat{S}_z## of course doesn't change under the unitary transformation and, if you then take the expectation values wrt. the eigenvectors of ##\hat{S}_z## you get the corresponding eigenvalue as the expectation value of ##\hat{S}_z## of course.

To give a more specific answer, we'd need the precise formulation of the question, and it also looks as if this is more appropriate for the home-work section of Physics Forums!

Likes Garlic
Garlic said:
As an excercise I am to find out how the expectation value of the spin operator evolves over time.
There was a hint, stating that it is enough to show that
$$
e^{i \frac{\phi ( \hat{n} \cdot \sigma )}{2}} \sigma_i e^{- i \frac{\phi ( \hat{n} \cdot \sigma )}{2}} = [R_{ \hat{n} }]_{ij} \sigma_j$$
Where ##R_{ \hat{n} }## is a 3x3 matrix that describes a rotation with the angle ##\phi## around the ##n## axis. ...So I don't quite get how showing that equation holds would tell us how the spin expectation value evolves over time.

If the spin-vector ##\vec{s}## is given by,

##\vec{s}~=~\left[\begin{array}{c}\xi^*\sigma_x\,\xi \\ \xi^*\sigma_y\,\xi \\ \xi^*\sigma_z\,\xi\end{array}\right]##

then the rotated spin-vector ##\vec{s}'## is given by

##\vec{s}' ~=~ R_{ \hat{n} }\left[\begin{array}{c}\xi^*\sigma_x\,\xi \\ \xi^*\sigma_y\,\xi \\ \xi^*\sigma_z\,\xi\end{array}\right]##

Alternatively you can define a new set of matrices ##\sigma_x',\sigma_y',\sigma_z'## using the right-hand side of your equation

##\sigma_i' ~=~ [R_{ \hat{n} }]_{ij}\, \sigma_j##.

In this case the rotated spin-vector ##\vec{s}'## is given by:

##\vec{s}' ~=~ \left[\begin{array}{c}\xi^*\sigma_x'\,\xi \\ \xi^*\sigma_y'\,\xi \\ \xi^*\sigma_z'\,\xi\end{array}\right]##

Yet another alternative is that you rotate the spinor itself using the left-hand side terms of your equation:

##\xi'~=~ e^{- i \frac{\phi ( \hat{n} \cdot \sigma )}{2}}\,\xi~~~~ ## and ##~~~~~\xi^*{'}~=~ \xi^* e^{i \frac{\phi ( \hat{n} \cdot \sigma )}{2}}##

Now the rotated spin-vector ##\vec{s}'## is given by:

##\vec{s}' ~=~ \left[\begin{array}{c}\xi^*{'}\,\sigma_x\,\xi' \\ \xi^*{'}\,\sigma_y\,\xi' \\ \xi^*{'}\,\sigma_z\,\xi'\end{array}\right]##

This explains your formula.

Finally it is good to know why a spin-vector component ##s_x## is given by

##s_x=\xi^*\sigma_x\,\xi##.

This is because ##\sigma_x## is the product of two operators:

##\sigma_x ~=~ (i\sigma_o)\,(-i\sigma_x)##

1) The operator ##-i\sigma_x## rotates the spinor by 180##^o## around the ##x##-axis.
2) The operator ##i\sigma_o## rotates the spinor by -180##^o## around its own axis.

Now consider a normalized spinor ##\xi## which is directed parallel along the ##x##-axis. The net rotation in this case is zero and thus:

##\xi^*\sigma_x\,\xi~=~\xi^*\xi ~=~ 1##

If the normalized spinor ##\xi## is directed anti-parallel along the ##x##-axis then the total rotation is 360##^ o## degrees which amounts to a sign change and thus:

##\xi^*\sigma_x\,\xi~=~-\xi^*\xi ~=~ -1##

This explains why the Pauli matrices can be used to project-out the elements of the spin-vector ##\vec{s}##

Last edited:
Likes Garlic
Thank you for your quick replies :)

I have found a link where it says that the associated time evolution unitary operator ## U(t,0) ## is similar to the operator ## R_n(α) ## which rotates a vector by an angle α around the axis defined by the vector ## \bar{n} ##.
I diddn't understand how a time independent rotation by ## R_n ## could explain a time evolution of a spin state. Now I see that the rotation caused by ## U(t,0) ## has a dependency on the time so the angle α is time dependent in this case α=α(t).
Source: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...all-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_05F13_Chap_07.pdf

vanhees71 said:
To give a more specific answer, we'd need the precise formulation of the question
My apologies. Because the text was in a different language it was hard for me to formulate it well.
The spin state was not given, only the S-vector was defined as ## S= \frac{ hbar }{2} σ_i ## where the ## σ_i ## are the pauli matrices.

Hans de Vries said:
If the spin-vector →ss→\vec{s} is given by
Interesting. In our undergrad course we defined the spin vector without the spinors. Thanks to you today I have learned about them :) I find the concept very interesting.

1. How is the expectation value of the spin operator related to the spin state of a particle?

The expectation value of the spin operator is a measure of the average spin of a particle in a given spin state. It is calculated by taking the inner product of the spin state with the spin operator and can range from -1/2 to 1/2.

2. Does the expectation value of the spin operator change over time?

Yes, the expectation value of the spin operator can change over time as the spin state of a particle evolves. This change is governed by the time-dependent Schrödinger equation and is influenced by external factors such as magnetic fields.

3. How does the expectation value of the spin operator evolve over time for a stationary spin state?

If the spin state of a particle is stationary, meaning it does not change over time, then the expectation value of the spin operator will also remain constant. This is because the spin operator has no time dependence in this scenario.

4. Can the expectation value of the spin operator be used to predict the spin of a particle at a specific time?

No, the expectation value of the spin operator only provides information about the average spin of a particle in a given spin state. It cannot be used to predict the exact spin of a particle at a specific time, as the spin state can fluctuate and is subject to uncertainty.

5. How does the expectation value of the spin operator behave for a superposition of spin states?

The expectation value of the spin operator for a superposition of spin states is a weighted average of the expectation values for each individual spin state. This means that the expectation value can change over time as the weights of the spin states in the superposition change.