Spin, let me make sure I have this straight

• Thread starter LostConjugate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin
In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the spin of an electron in a Hydrogen atom in an arbitrary direction and the resulting measurement in Joules. The magnetic field components in the other two orthogonal dimensions are also discussed, and the total intrinsic angular momentum is calculated. The concept of the spin of an electron and its relation to the total angular momentum quantum number is also mentioned.
LostConjugate
So if you measures the spin of an electron in a Hydrogen atom (which I understand requires a magnetic field to eliminate the degeneracy of energy levels) in an arbitrary direction

[tex] x^i[/tex]

you would measure plus or minus

[tex]\frac{eh}{2Mc}B_i[/tex]

in Joules. Where [tex]B_i[/tex] is the magnetic field component in the direction [tex] x^i[/tex]

I understand you never measure anything between this.

What about the magnetic field components of the other 2 orthogonal dimensions? Is the spin in those directions also

[tex]\frac{eh}{2Mc}B_i[/tex]

That would give a total intrinsic angular momentum of 3/2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it's been a couple years since I took my quals, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe the Hamiltonian for this system is:

[tex]H=\dfrac{e\hbar}{2mc}B_z\sigma_z[/tex]

But if you want to find the possibile energies that you'd get by making a measurement of the x-component of the spin, you're basically finding the eigenvalues of the x spinor. So you'd do,

[tex]\dfrac{e\hbar}{2mc}B_z\sigma_z \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\1\end{array}\right) = E \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

So assuming I got that right, now you just need to do the eigenvalue problem.

You can't sum up the components; the operators don't commute for different directions.
They do commute with S2 and so you get an expectation value [tex]S^2 = 3\hbar^2/4[/tex] and more generally [tex]S = \sqrt{s(s+1)}[/tex]

So the total spin angular momentum is [tex]S = \hbar\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

So what does it mean to say the spin of an electron is l=1/2 where l is the total angular momentum.

Edit:

I think I understand my mistake, l is the total angular momentum quantum number, not the energy eigenvalue.

So then am I correct in saying that the absolute value of the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle is equal in any direction a magnetic field of equal intensity is applied?

Last edited:

What is spin?

Spin is a property of particles, such as electrons and protons, that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. It is a fundamental quantum mechanical property that contributes to the magnetic moment of particles.

How is spin measured?

Spin is measured in units of Planck's constant divided by 2π, known as the reduced Planck constant (ħ). It can be measured experimentally using techniques such as Stern-Gerlach experiments or nuclear magnetic resonance.

What is the difference between spin up and spin down?

Spin up and spin down refer to the two possible orientations of a particle's spin in a magnetic field. These orientations are represented by the two quantum states of spin ½ particles, and can be thought of as the clockwise and counterclockwise rotations of the particle's spin axis.

Can spin be changed or manipulated?

Spin can be manipulated using external magnetic fields, allowing scientists to control the orientation of a particle's spin. This is important in many applications, such as in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and quantum computing.

Is spin related to angular momentum?

Yes, spin is related to angular momentum. In fact, spin can be thought of as a type of intrinsic angular momentum, while orbital angular momentum refers to the rotational motion of a particle around an external axis.