How can I solve inequalities involving absolute values?

In summary, the conversation discusses two exercises, d) and e), where the goal is to prove inequalities involving absolute value. For d), the attempt at a solution involved trying different approaches but none were successful. For e), the attempt involved squaring the expression and using the ordinary triangle inequality, but it was not clear how to proceed. With some guidance, the first exercise was solved using the ordinary triangle inequality and substitution. However, the second exercise required the first to be solved first before being able to solve it. The conversation also mentions that this may be a common trend throughout the book, where previous exercises are used in later proofs.
carlosbgois

Homework Statement

d) Show that [itex]\left|x-y\right| \leq \left|x\right|+\left|y\right|[/itex]
e) Show that [itex]\left|x\right|-\left|y\right| \leq \left|x-y\right|[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For item d) I've tried some approaches but none was promising.

For item e), I tried squaring [itex]\left|x-y\right|[/itex] to get
[itex](\left|x-y\right|)^{2} \geq (\left|x\right|-\left|y\right|)^{2}[/itex]

But if I take the square roots, the right side may not always be positive, then I don't have a proof, right?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
carlosbgois said:

Homework Statement

d) Show that [itex]\left|x-y\right| \leq \left|x\right|+\left|y\right|[/itex]
e) Show that [itex]\left|x\right|-\left|y\right| \leq \left|x-y\right|[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For item d) I've tried some approaches but none was promising.

For item e), I tried squaring [itex]\left|x-y\right|[/itex] to get
[itex](\left|x-y\right|)^{2} \geq (\left|x\right|-\left|y\right|)^{2}[/itex]

But if I take the square roots, the right side may not always be positive, then I don't have a proof, right?

Thanks

Do you have the ordinary triangle inequality to work with: |x+y| ≤ |x| + |y|? You can get these by using it. For example, what happens if you substitute -y for y in that?

Yes I do, and I got the answer with your help:

Having the triangular inequality and substituting y for -y, we get:
[itex]|x+(-y)|\leq|x|+|-y|[/itex]. As [itex]|y|=|-y|[/itex], then [itex]|x-y|\leq|x|+|y|[/itex].

But what about the second exercise? I now was able to do it using the first one,
but is there any way of getting it right with my previous attempt, which I posted up there?

Thanks

carlosbgois said:
But what about the second exercise? I now was able to do it using the first one,
but is there any way of getting it right with my previous attempt, which I posted up there?

Thanks

This will be a common trend throughout Spivak. Many of the questions have multiple parts and the later parts often require the earlier parts to complete the proof; although, I think this occurs more frequently when you get to the real meat of the book beginning in chapter 9. It's common for previous, perhaps long forgotten, problems to be used in the proofs as well. Also Spivak has a lot of difficult problems so you might come to a point later in the book where you need to skip part A and just assume its true to solve part B - at least I occasionally did :)

Related to How can I solve inequalities involving absolute values?

1. What are inequalities?

Inequalities are mathematical statements that compare the values of two quantities. They use symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥ to show the relationship between the quantities.

2. What is the purpose of studying Spivak 1-12de (inequalities)?

The study of Spivak 1-12de (inequalities) helps build a foundation for understanding more complex mathematical concepts and equations. It also has real-world applications in areas such as economics, physics, and engineering.

3. What are some common types of inequalities?

Some common types of inequalities include linear inequalities, quadratic inequalities, polynomial inequalities, rational inequalities, and absolute value inequalities.

4. What are the properties of inequalities?

The main properties of inequalities are the reflexive property, which states that a quantity is always greater than or equal to itself, and the transitive property, which states that if one quantity is greater than or equal to another, and the second is greater than or equal to a third, then the first is also greater than or equal to the third.

5. How can inequalities be solved?

Inequalities can be solved using various methods, such as graphing, substitution, and algebraic manipulation. The solution to an inequality is a range of values that satisfy the given inequality statement.