Spivak's Calculus polynomial question

In summary: DIn summary, the conversation discusses finding a polynomial function of degree n-1 that takes on a value of 1 at one number and 0 at all other numbers in a set of n numbers. The solution involves using the product of every (x-x_j) for j ≠ i, and dividing it by a constant to obtain the Lagrange interpolation formula. The conversation then continues to discuss finding a polynomial function of degree n-1 that takes on given numbers at certain inputs, using the previously found function.
scast

Homework Statement

(This problem is from the Spivak 2nd Ed. I had to translate it from spanish since my book is in spanish)

If [tex]x_1, \ldots, x_n[/tex] are different numbers, find a polynomial function [tex]f_i[/tex] of [tex]n-1[/tex] degree that takes value 1 on [tex]x_i[/tex] and 0 in [tex]x_j[/tex] for [tex]j \neq i[/tex]. Indication: the product of every [tex](x-x_j)[/tex] for [tex]j \neq i[/tex] is 0 if [tex]j \neq i[/tex].

\prod_{j=1}^{n} (x-x_{j})

Homework Equations

[tex]\prod_{j=1}^{n} (x-x_{j})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far... Well so basically I stated all the known and unknown but I can't seem to get
past that. So here's what I have...

There is a set of [tex]x_1, \ldots, x_n[/tex]
[tex]f_{i}[/tex] is of [tex]n-1[/tex] degree.

There's a function such

[tex]f_{i}(x) = a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + a_{n-2}x^{n-2} + \ldots + a_{1}x + a_{0}[/tex]

There's a pair [tex](x_{i}, f_{i}(x_{i})[/tex] such that

[tex]f_{i}(x_{i}) = a_{n-1}x_{i}^{n-1} + a_{n-2}x_{i}^{n-2} + \ldots + a_{1}x_{i} + a_{0} = 1[/tex]

And there's also a pair [tex](x_{j}, f_{i}(x_{j}))[/tex] such that

[tex]f_{i}(x_{j}) = a_{n-1}x_{j}^{n-1} + a_{n-2}x_{j}^{n-2} + \ldots + a_{1}x_{j} +a_{0} = 0[/tex]

But I can't seem to connect the indication with the whole problem... any help? Oh, and I posted it in calculus but I am not quiet sure if this belongs in precalculus forum instead. I am sorry if this doesn't belong here.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try [tex]\prod_{k \neq i} (x-x_k)[/tex], a polynomial of degree n - 1, and divide this expression by an appropriate constant (try a product of factors). For more information, look up: Lagrange interpolation polynomials.

First of all, I know that this thread is very old, but since I am working on this exact problem I assume it is better not to create a new thread. (+ it shows that I did a search :) )

Here's my attempt:

[tex] f_i(x) = \prod^n_{\frac{j=1}{j\neq i}} \frac{x-x_j}{x_i-x_j} [/tex]

The next part of this problem is as follows.
Find a polynomial function [tex]f[/tex] of degree [tex]n-1[/tex] such that [tex]f(x_i)=a_i[/tex], where [tex]a_1,...a_n[/tex] are given numbers. (You should use the function [tex]f_1[/tex] from the first part. The formula you will obtain is called the "Lagrange interpolation formula".

[tex] f_i(x) = a_i\prod^n_{\frac{j=1}{j\neq i}} \frac{x-x_j}{x_i-x_j} [/tex]
since the function from the previous problem was [tex]1[/tex] at [tex]x_i[/tex]

I would appreciate it if someone could take a look at this and tell me if it is correct.
Thanks!

Dafe said:
First of all, I know that this thread is very old, but since I am working on this exact problem I assume it is better not to create a new thread. (+ it shows that I did a search :) )

Here's my attempt:

[tex] f_i(x) = \prod^n_{\frac{j=1}{j\neq i}} \frac{x-x_j}{x_i-x_j} [/tex]

The next part of this problem is as follows.
Find a polynomial function [tex]f[/tex] of degree [tex]n-1[/tex] such that [tex]f(x_i)=a_i[/tex], where [tex]a_1,...a_n[/tex] are given numbers. (You should use the function [tex]f_1[/tex] from the first part. The formula you will obtain is called the "Lagrange interpolation formula".[tex] f_i(x) = a_i\prod^n_{\frac{j=1}{j\neq i}} \frac{x-x_j}{x_i-x_j} [/tex]
since the function from the previous problem was [tex]1[/tex] at [tex]x_i[/tex]

I would appreciate it if someone could take a look at this and tell me if it is correct.
Thanks!

Close. It should be:

n
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] aifi(x)
i=1

where f(x) is your function above

you need a function such that fi(xi) = ai where xi = x1,x2,...,xn and ai = a1,a2,...,an.

The LATEX subscripting doesn't seem to work :S

Last edited:
Ok, so my new function is,

[tex] f(x) = \sum^n_{i=1}a_if_i(x) [/tex]

if I put [tex] x_i [/tex] into this new function, I would get:

[tex] f(x_i) = a_1+a_2+...+a_n [/tex]

The problem asks for a function where [tex] f(x_1)=a_i [/tex]. Does this imply a sum over the [tex]a_i[/tex]'s?
By the way, I am in no way saying your answer is wrong. It fits nicely with my google search on lagrange interpolating polynomial :)

Thanks!

Dafe said:

No. AT xi, fi will be 1, every other fn will be 0. [itex]f(x_i)= a_1(0)+ a_2(0)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_i (1)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_n(0)= a_i[/itex].

The problem asks for a function where [tex] f(x_1)=a_i [/tex]. Does this imply a sum over the [tex]a_i[/tex]'s?
By the way, I am in no way saying your answer is wrong. It fits nicely with my google search on lagrange interpolating polynomial :)

Thanks!

Dafe said:

Thanks!

This is why your function is wrong:

You need to find a single function that gives you certain numbers whenever you input certain numbers.

So at f(x1) you should get a1, at f(x2), you should get a2.. at f(xn) you should get an.

With your function, aifi(x) where fi(x) is the quotient function shown earlier - you cannot get anything other than 0 and whatever ai was supposed to be, unless you keep changing your function.

Last edited:
Ah, now I get it :)
Thank you both very much!

Related to Spivak's Calculus polynomial question

1. What is Spivak's Calculus polynomial question?

Spivak's Calculus polynomial question is a problem posed by mathematician Michael Spivak in his book "Calculus." It asks for the polynomial function that passes through a given set of points with the smallest possible degree.

2. What is the significance of this question?

This question is significant because it challenges students to think critically about polynomial functions and their properties, and to find the most efficient and elegant solution to a problem.

3. What are the steps to solve Spivak's Calculus polynomial question?

The steps to solve this question include: identifying the given points, setting up a system of equations using the general form of a polynomial function, solving the system of equations using techniques such as substitution or elimination, and checking for the smallest degree solution.

4. Can this question be solved using calculus?

Yes, this question can be solved using calculus techniques such as differentiation and the fundamental theorem of calculus. These techniques can help to find the minimum degree polynomial that satisfies the given conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of Spivak's Calculus polynomial question?

Real-world applications of this question include curve fitting in data analysis, designing efficient computer algorithms, and optimizing engineering designs. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in various fields of study and professions.