Splitting Fractions (Integrals)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral of (2-3x/(Sqrt.(1 - x^2))) dx using trigonometric substitutions. The attempt at a solution involved separating the integral into two parts and using a trig substitution for x. However, it is suggested to use a simpler substitution, such as u= 1- x^2, for the integral of 3x/(Sqrt.(1-x^2)). This would make the integration process easier.
FuturEngineer

Homework Statement

Evaluate

Integrate (2-3x/(Sqrt.(1 - x^2))) dx

Homework Equations

1/Sqrt.(1-x^2) = arctan

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so lost, but this is what I've tried, but didn't work...

I separated the integral into two so
Integral of (2/(Sqrt.(1-x^20))) dx - integral of (3x/(Sqrt.(1-x^2))) dx
I am not sure how to proceed? Help! [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
this can be solved using a trig substitution for x. Can you think of what this substitution should be to simplify the denominator?

FuturEngineer said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate

Integrate (2-3x/(Sqrt.(1 - x^2))) dx

Homework Equations

1/Sqrt.(1-x^2) = arctan

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so lost, but this is what I've tried, but didn't work...

I separated the integral into two so
Integral of (2/(Sqrt.(1-x^20))) dx - integral of (3x/(Sqrt.(1-x^2))) dx
I am not sure how to proceed? Help! [/B]
Looks like a natural for trig substitutions for both integrals

I would NOT use a trig substitution for [itex]\frac{3x}{\sqrt{1- x^2}}[/itex]. Instead let [itex]u= 1- x^2[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
I would NOT use a trig substitution for [itex]\frac{3x}{\sqrt{1- x^2}}[/itex]. Instead let [itex]u= 1- x^2[/itex]
A trig substitution would work, but I agree that an ordinary substitution (as you suggest) would be easier, which makes it a better choice.

Thanks!

What is Splitting Fractions (Integrals)?

Splitting fractions (integrals) is a mathematical process used to simplify and solve complex fractions or integrals into smaller, more manageable parts. It involves breaking down the larger fraction or integral into smaller fractions or integrals that are easier to calculate.

Why is Splitting Fractions (Integrals) useful?

Splitting fractions (integrals) can make solving complex mathematical problems easier and more efficient. It allows for a step-by-step approach to solving a problem, which can help in understanding the process and reaching the correct solution. It also helps to eliminate fractions or integrals that are difficult to calculate.

What are the steps involved in Splitting Fractions (Integrals)?

The first step is to factor the numerator and denominator of the fraction or integrand. Then, look for any common factors that can be canceled out. Next, split the fraction or integral into smaller parts by separating the numerator and denominator into their respective factors. Finally, simplify the resulting fractions or integrals and combine them to get the final solution.

Can Splitting Fractions (Integrals) be used for both proper and improper fractions?

Yes, Splitting fractions (integrals) can be used for both proper and improper fractions. However, the process may differ slightly for each type of fraction. For proper fractions, the resulting fractions may be simpler, while for improper fractions, the process may involve polynomial long division to simplify the resulting fractions.

Are there any limitations to using Splitting Fractions (Integrals)?

While Splitting fractions (integrals) can be a useful tool in solving complex mathematical problems, it may not always be the most efficient method. In some cases, it may be easier to solve the fraction or integral using other techniques such as substitution or partial fractions. Additionally, Splitting fractions (integrals) may not always result in a simplified solution, and some fractions or integrals may still require further simplification.