What is the concept of spooky action at a distance?

• Thread starter DrWatson
  • Start date
In summary, "spooky action at a distance" refers to the phenomenon of quantum entanglement, where two particles can become connected in such a way that altering one can cause changes in the other, even when they are physically separated. However, this does not involve any actual action at a distance, rather it is a conservation of properties between the particles. It is a complex concept that can be further explored through resources such as Wikipedia or books on the subject.
DrWatson
"Spooky Action At A Distance"

How does quantum entaglement work? Could someone please give me a simple explanation for "spooky action at a distance"?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I was suprised myself to find that this already exists in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooky_action_at_a_distance"

Did you read this already?

Harald.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think its actually action at a distance because the changes in one photon (after altering the other photon) only appear when the measurements are compared but I might be wrong.

I was dissappointed when I learned that it wasn't action at a distance, faster-than-light information exchange.

"spooky action at a distance" is simply conservation of what ever it is your measuring. Typically in entagled pairs of electrons it is the spin that is being "altered". Not sure I can give a really simple explanation that doesn't lead to more questions. I would take birulami's suggestion and read wikipedia or some other book on it.

CraigD, AMInstP
www.cymek.com

1. What is "spooky action at a distance?"

"Spooky action at a distance" refers to the phenomenon of quantum entanglement, where two or more particles become connected in a way that they can instantaneously affect each other's properties, even if they are separated by large distances.

2. How does spooky action at a distance occur?

Spooky action at a distance occurs when two particles become entangled through a process called quantum superposition. This means that the particles exist in multiple states simultaneously, and when one particle is measured, the other particle's state is instantly determined, regardless of the distance between them.

3. Is spooky action at a distance real or just a theory?

Spooky action at a distance is a real phenomenon that has been observed and verified through numerous experiments. However, there is still ongoing research and debate around the underlying mechanisms and implications of this phenomenon.

4. How is spooky action at a distance different from classical physics?

In classical physics, the properties of objects are determined by their individual characteristics and interactions with their surroundings. In quantum mechanics, spooky action at a distance shows that particles can be connected in ways that go beyond classical explanations, and their properties can be instantly affected by each other without any physical interaction.

5. What are the potential applications of spooky action at a distance?

Spooky action at a distance has potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It also has implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and could lead to new technologies and advancements in various fields.