1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring and Oscillation

1. Dec 14, 2006 #1

A 5.00 g bullet moving with an initial speed of v0 = 405 m/s is fired into and passes through a 1.00 kg block, as in Figure P13.58. The block, initially at rest on a frictionless horizontal surface, is connected to a spring with a spring constant of 950 N/m.

Figure P13.58
    (a) If the block moves 5.00 cm to the right after impact, find the speed at which the bullet emerges from the block.
    (b) If the block moves 5.00 cm to the right after impact, find the mechanical energy lost in the collision. J

I dont know where to begin, its so frustrating
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Not that I wouldn't like to help you, but I'm almost 100% positive I've seen this exact picture in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I suggest you do some searching first. :wink:
  4. Dec 14, 2006 #3
    I checked the thread and it wasnt much of a help

I tried to use conservation of momentum for this but it doesnt work
  5. Dec 14, 2006 #4
    Try conservation of energy.
  6. Dec 14, 2006 #5
    how do I set it up though

.5kx^2= .5mv^2?
  7. Dec 14, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The original kinetic energy will be the sum of the spring energy and the bullets remaining kinetic energy after impact.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?