How Is the Spring Constant Calculated from Velocity and Compression Data?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the spring constant in a system where a 6 kg particle hits a spring at t = 8 seconds and compresses it by 8 cm. It is mentioned that the velocity equation given can be used to find the unknown k value, but the person is having trouble understanding how to relate the two. They are advised to use additional equations and consider the energy in the system when the particle is moving and when the spring is compressed.
M1ZeN

Homework Statement

The velocity of a 6 kg particle is found to be well fit by

v(t) = 15t^2 + 7 (velocity in units m/s)

a) If the particle hits a spring at t = 8 seconds, and compresses the spring 8 cm, what is the spring constant?

b) Suppose a particle with twice the mass, but the same velocity hits the (relaxed) spring. How far will the spring be compressed?

Homework Equations

Fsp = -k(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

The main problem I have with understanding this problem is one, the problem is asking for "k". I got that. It gives me "s" (8cm). I got that. I know that I have to use velocity with the time value given. The part that I'm not getting is relating the velocity equation given to finding the k unknown.

All my best.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have more equations you can use.

How much energy is in the system when the particle is moving, and how much energy is in the system when the spring is compressed? How are they related?

As a scientist, my response would be:

It seems like there may be some confusion about how to approach this problem. The given velocity equation, v(t) = 15t^2 + 7, can be used to find the acceleration of the particle at any given time using the equation a(t) = dv(t)/dt. From there, we can use the equation F = ma to find the force exerted on the spring by the particle at t = 8 seconds. This force, along with the given compression distance of 8 cm, can then be used to calculate the spring constant using the equation F = -k(s). As for part b, we can use the same process but with the new mass of the particle to find the new compression distance of the spring. I hope this helps clarify the approach to solving this problem.

1. What is spring constant confusion?

Spring constant confusion refers to the misunderstanding or uncertainty about the concept of spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of a spring and its ability to resist deformation when a force is applied to it.

2. How is spring constant calculated?

Spring constant is calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring. This is known as Hooke's law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression of the spring.

3. What are the units of spring constant?

The units of spring constant depend on the units of force and displacement used in the calculation. Generally, it is measured in newtons per meter (N/m) or pounds per inch (lb/in).

4. How does spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The higher the spring constant, the stiffer the spring will be and the more force will be required to stretch or compress it. A lower spring constant means the spring is more flexible and requires less force to deform it.

5. Can the spring constant of a spring change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on the material, shape, and size of the spring. It can also change if the spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit or if it undergoes plastic deformation.