Solving Spring Energy: Half Amplitude & Kinetic Energy %

In summary, at half amplitude, the kinetic energy is equal to the remaining percentage of the total energy after subtracting the potential energy at half amplitude.
go2cnavy
For an Ideal spring...At half Amplitude, what % of the energy is kinetic?

I know at A the kinetic energy it instantly zero which makes max potential energy (.5kx^2)

I also know that after released, at the instant passising through the equilibrium point kinetic energy is max and potential energy is zero.

From the energy conservation approach Et = Ei so, .5mv^2 = .5kA^2

I have no clue where to start this problem. Maybe I am making it too difficult

Physics news on Phys.org
go2cnavy said:
For an Ideal spring...At half Amplitude, what % of the energy is kinetic?

I know at A the kinetic energy it instantly zero which makes max potential energy (.5kx^2)

I also know that after released, at the instant passising through the equilibrium point kinetic energy is max and potential energy is zero.

From the energy conservation approach Et = Ei so, .5mv^2 = .5kA^2

I have no clue where to start this problem. Maybe I am making it too difficult
You know how to calculate the potential energy at full amplitude when it is the total energy. You should also be able to calculate it at half amplitude when it is not the total energy. Any energy that is not potentail energy at half amplitude (or anywhere else) is kinetic energy.

.Dear colleague,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about solving spring energy. I am happy to provide some insight and guidance on this topic.

Firstly, it is important to note that for an ideal spring, the energy is conserved throughout its motion. This means that the total energy at any point in time is equal to the initial energy of the system. In other words, the sum of the potential energy and kinetic energy at any point in time is always equal to the initial energy of the system.

Now, let's consider the question at hand - at half amplitude, what percentage of the energy is kinetic? To answer this, we need to understand the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy in a spring.

At the maximum amplitude, the spring is fully compressed or stretched, and all of its energy is in the form of potential energy. As the spring begins to oscillate, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the spring moves back and forth. At the halfway point, the spring is at its equilibrium position and has no potential energy. Therefore, at this point, all of the energy is in the form of kinetic energy.

To determine the percentage of energy that is kinetic at half amplitude, we can use the equation you mentioned - .5mv^2 = .5kA^2. This equation relates the kinetic energy (represented by .5mv^2) to the potential energy (represented by .5kA^2) at any point in time.

At half amplitude, the displacement of the spring (represented by A) is equal to half of the maximum displacement. Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as .5mv^2 = .5k(0.5A)^2. Simplifying this, we get .5mv^2 = .125kA^2.

Now, we can see that at half amplitude, the kinetic energy is equal to one-eighth of the initial potential energy (.125 = 1/8). This means that at half amplitude, the kinetic energy represents 12.5% of the total energy.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of energy conservation in a spring and how to determine the percentage of kinetic energy at any point in its motion. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

1. What is spring energy?

Spring energy is the potential energy stored in a spring when it is stretched or compressed. When a spring is stretched or compressed, it exerts a force that is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released.

2. What is half amplitude in relation to spring energy?

Half amplitude refers to the distance from the equilibrium position to the maximum displacement of a spring. It is also known as the amplitude of oscillation. When a spring is stretched or compressed to half its amplitude, it has half the potential energy compared to when it is stretched or compressed to its full amplitude.

3. How is kinetic energy related to spring energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of a spring, as it is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy. When it is released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the spring begins to move back and forth. The total amount of energy in the system remains constant, with the potential energy decreasing as the kinetic energy increases.

4. How do I calculate the kinetic energy percentage in spring energy?

The kinetic energy percentage in spring energy is the ratio of the kinetic energy to the total energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) of the system. To calculate it, you can use the formula: KE% = (KE/PE + KE) x 100%. This will give you a percentage value representing the amount of energy that is in the form of kinetic energy.

5. What factors affect the amount of spring energy?

The amount of spring energy is affected by the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. The greater the spring constant, the more potential energy the spring can store. The amplitude of oscillation also affects the amount of spring energy, with a larger amplitude resulting in a higher potential and kinetic energy. The mass of the object attached to the spring also plays a role, with a heavier mass requiring more energy to stretch or compress the spring. Friction and air resistance can also affect the amount of energy in a spring system.