Spring-mass system, two carts, two springs

In summary, the conversation discusses finding initial conditions for which the first cart moves but the second cart does not, given certain parameters and equations. The reasoning is that if the second cart doesn't move, then its position, velocity, and acceleration must all be zero. This leads to the conclusion that there are no initial conditions that will allow this situation to occur, unless the second cart is held down. The alternative approach of assuming X2 is constant and examining its twice derivative is suggested.
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

Take the example in Figure 3.12 on pg 117 (see attachment) with parameters ##m_1=m_2=1## and ##k_1=k_2=1##. Does there exist a set of initial conditions for which the first cart moves but the second cart does not? If so, find those conditions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my set-up:
##\begin{cases}
x_1'' = -2x_1+x_2\\
x_2'' = x_1-x_2
\end{cases}##

And I'm not sure whether my reasoning is valid here, but since we're trying to find conditions for which ##m_2## doesn't move, does that mean ##x_2=0##?

This would leave me with just
##x_1''=-2x_1##,
and from the second equation we get ##x_1=0## as well.

Because of this, I'm led to believe the initial conditions are something like ##x_1(0)=0## and ##x_2(0)=0##.

Attachments

• mass springs.png
    mass springs.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 754
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your reasoning is correct. If someone told you that object 2 doesn't move, then what would you say about X'2 and X''2 ? This is the line of reasoning you should go down.

What about this: If the second cart doesn't move, that means ##x_2=0##, right? Which in turn means that ##x'_2=0## and ##x''_2=0##. Plugging these into the system yields ##x_1=0##, which means the first cart also doesn't move. Thus, there are no initial conditions that will allow this situation to occur, unless the second cart was held down against the surface.

SithsNGiggles said:
What about this: If the second cart doesn't move, that means ##x_2=0##, right?
Well, you've guessed the answer, but you have not got any reason to say why X2 is zero. Try doing it the other way around. We are told to find out what motion is possible if X2 is constant. So for now, don't assume X2 is zero. Just assume that it is constant. OK, so what does this tell us about the twice derivative of X2 ?

1. What is a spring-mass system?

A spring-mass system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring. The mass can move freely along a horizontal surface, and the spring provides a restoring force that opposes the motion of the mass.

2. How does a spring-mass system work?

In a spring-mass system, the spring is compressed or stretched when the mass is moved. This causes the spring to exert a force on the mass, which causes it to accelerate. As the mass moves, the spring continues to exert a force, which creates a back-and-forth motion known as oscillation.

3. What are the key components of a spring-mass system?

The key components of a spring-mass system are the mass, the spring, and the surface on which the mass can move. The mass determines the inertia of the system, the spring provides the restoring force, and the surface allows the mass to move freely.

4. How does the number of springs affect a spring-mass system?

The number of springs in a spring-mass system can affect the stiffness and behavior of the system. Adding more springs in parallel can increase the overall stiffness, while adding more springs in series can decrease the stiffness and increase the displacement of the mass.

5. What are some real-life applications of a spring-mass system?

Spring-mass systems are commonly used in everyday objects such as door hinges, shock absorbers, and trampolines. They are also used in more complex systems like car suspension systems and earthquake-resistant buildings.