Spring Mass System Problem Solutions: Check Here

In summary, the conversation discusses a mass spring system problem and the calculations involved in solving it. The first part involves finding the equivalent spring constant (keq) and the natural frequency (ωn) using equations of motion and trigonometric functions. The second part involves calculating the log decrement (δ), damping factor (ζ), natural frequency (ω), and damping constant (c) using given equations. Some errors in units and calculations are pointed out for clarification.
wezzo62
It's a mass spring system problem and I am just not sure if I am doing it right or not. If you could have a look at the problem attached and my solutions below and just let me know if I am doing it right or not

1)a) keq = k1 + k2 = 2355N/m
b) keq = 1 / ((1/k1) + (1/k2)) = 451.0301N/m
c) mx" + kx = 0 => 6x" + 2355x = 0 (eq. of motion)
x = sin(ωnt + ∅) ___________________________________(1)
x' =Aωcos(ωnt + ∅) _________________________________(2)
x" = -ωn2Asin(ωnt + ∅) __________(3)
then substituting (1) and (3) back into eq. of motion and dividing by
Asin(ωnt + ∅)
gives: -mωn2 + k = 0 => ωn = √(k/m) = 19.81 rad/s
d) same process as for c) and got: ωn = √(451.0301/6) = 8.67rad/s

Im now a little stuck/confused on e) and f) and its making me think what I've done so far is wrong! this is really annoying me so please could someone tell me if any of this is right.

2)a) log decrement, δ = ln(10/5) = 0.6931
b) damping factor, ζ = δ/2pi = 1.0888
c) natural frequency, ω = √(76/4) = √19
=> damped natural frequency, ωd = ω√(1-ζ2) = 4.3323
d) ccr = 2√(km) = 11.1335 (bearing in mind its 4N not 4kg and therefore m=4/9.81=0.41kg)
=> damping constant, c = ζ ccr = 1.2282

I think most of Q2 should be right . . ? any help much appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• CA1.doc
    88 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to always double check your work and make sure you are following the correct procedures. From what I can see, your approach and calculations for the first part (a-d) seem to be correct. However, for part e and f, there are a few things that need to be clarified.

In part e, you are asked to calculate the critical damping coefficient (ccr). This is typically defined as the damping coefficient at which the system will return to equilibrium without any oscillations. In your calculation, you have used the equation ccr = 2√(km), which is correct. However, you have used the mass of 4N instead of 4kg. The mass should be in kilograms, so the correct calculation would be ccr = 2√(4*9.81) = 8.8588 Ns/m.

In part f, you are asked to calculate the damping constant (c). In your calculation, you have used the damping factor (ζ) instead of the damping coefficient (c). The damping constant is defined as c = ζ * ccr, so the correct calculation would be c = 1.0888 * 8.8588 = 9.6348 Ns/m.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts and equations involved in this mass spring system problem. Just be sure to double check your units and calculations to avoid any mistakes. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck with your problem!

Related to Spring Mass System Problem Solutions: Check Here

1. What is a spring mass system?

A spring mass system is a physical system composed of a mass attached to a spring, which is fixed at one end and free at the other. It is commonly used to model simple harmonic motion in physics.

2. What is the equation for the displacement of a spring mass system?

The equation for the displacement of a spring mass system is given by x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

3. How do you solve a spring mass system problem?

To solve a spring mass system problem, you need to first identify the given parameters such as the mass, spring constant, and initial conditions. Then, use the equation of motion (F = -kx) and the initial conditions to find the amplitude and phase constant. Finally, plug in these values into the equation for displacement (x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ)) to get the solution.

4. How do you check if a solution to a spring mass system problem is correct?

To check the correctness of a solution, you can plug in the values into the equation of motion (F = -kx) and see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can plot the solution on a graph and compare it to the expected behavior of a spring mass system.

5. What are the applications of spring mass system problems?

Spring mass system problems have many real-world applications, such as in mechanical engineering for designing suspension systems and shock absorbers. They are also used in seismology to model earthquake vibrations and in biology to study the dynamics of muscle contractions.