Why Does a Spring Return to Its Original Position After Being Stretched?

• B
  • Thread starter tellmesomething
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Applied force
tellmesomething
Consider a spring in its natural length. I start pulling the string and the force i apply increase from 0 to 5, while this happens theres a restoring force wanting to be back in its original position(intermolecular force) and i am able to stretch the string until this spring force or restoring force equals to my applied force. Now when i remove my hand why does it go back to its original position, i understand the reaction force is opposite in direction to my applied force and at the point where the extension stops the net force on the string is 0. But when i remove my hand does the external force vanish? Its still there right shouldnt the spring still be in equilibrium?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your hand is the source of the applied force. Why would the applied force remain after its source leaves?

Dale said:
Your hand is the source of the applied force. Why would the applied force remain after its source leaves?
when i push an object on a frictionless surface i dont remain in contact i merely give it a push and it continues moving until hit by an obstacle. can it not be similar to this?

tellmesomething said:
when i push an object on a frictionless surface i dont remain in contact i merely give it a push and it continues moving
It doesn’t require a force to move in a straight line at a constant speed. That is Newton’s 1st law. When you stop pushing then the force stops in this case too.

Last edited:
tellmesomething said:
Consider a spring in its natural length. I start pulling the string and the force i apply increase from 0 to 5, while this happens theres a restoring force wanting to be back in its original position(intermolecular force) and i am able to stretch the string until this spring force or restoring force equals to my applied force.
The force that you apply deforms the crystals that form the metal.
The reactive force is directly proportional to that deformation, which is elastic (until certain point).
tellmesomething said:
Now when i remove my hand why does it go back to its original position, i understand the reaction force is opposite in direction to my applied force and at the point where the extension stops the net force on the string is 0.
When you remove your hand, the force that was deforming the metal disappears, and the crystals naturally go back to the original position.
tellmesomething said:
But when i remove my hand does the external force vanish? Its still there right shouldnt the spring still be in equilibrium?
Yes, the external force suddenly disappears, which breaks the previous equilibrium of hand-elastic forces.
The elastic force makes the spring return to its original length, while its magnitude goes from 5 to 0.

Why does a spring return to its original position after being stretched?

A spring returns to its original position after being stretched because of Hooke's Law, which states that the force needed to extend or compress a spring by a certain distance is proportional to that distance. When a spring is stretched, it stores potential energy in the form of elastic potential energy. This energy allows the spring to return to its original position once the stretching force is removed.

What factors affect the ability of a spring to return to its original position?

The ability of a spring to return to its original position is affected by its material properties, such as its stiffness and elasticity. The design of the spring, including its shape and size, also plays a role in determining how well it can return to its original position. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and the amount of force applied to the spring can impact its ability to return to its original position.

Can a spring lose its ability to return to its original position over time?

Yes, a spring can lose its ability to return to its original position over time due to factors such as wear and tear, corrosion, and fatigue. When a spring is repeatedly stretched and compressed, it can experience plastic deformation, which permanently changes its shape and reduces its ability to return to its original position. Regular maintenance and proper handling can help prolong the lifespan of a spring.

How does the shape of a spring affect its ability to return to its original position?

The shape of a spring can affect its ability to return to its original position by influencing its stiffness and elasticity. Different types of springs, such as coil springs, leaf springs, and torsion springs, have unique shapes that determine how they respond to stretching and compression. The design of the spring, including the number of coils and the diameter of the wire, can also impact its ability to return to its original position.

What are some real-world applications of springs returning to their original position?

Springs returning to their original position are used in a wide range of applications, including automotive suspension systems, shock absorbers, door hinges, and mattress coils. By harnessing the elastic potential energy stored in springs, these systems can absorb shocks, support loads, and provide cushioning. The ability of springs to return to their original position makes them essential components in many mechanical devices and structures.