1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring motion dynamics

1. Jun 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The 15.8-in. spring is compressed to a 7.1-in. length, where it is released from rest and accelerates the sliding block A. The acceleration has an initial value of 160 ft/sec2 and then decreases linearly with the x-movement of the block, reaching zero when the spring regains its original 15.8-in. length. Calculate the time t for the block to go (a) 4.35 in. and (b) 8.7 in.

2. Relevant equations

a = 160 - kx

vdV = adX
    V = dx/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

k = 160/((15.8-7.1)/12)

a = 160 - 220X

Then i integrated vDV = 160 - 220x
    and got: v^2 = 320x - 220x^2
    solved for V = sqrt(320x - 220x^2)

now I know that V = dx/dt and to solve for dt and integrate for T. However I get stuck at the integral of dx/sqrt(320x - 220x^2) so I assume I am doing something wrong in the process of getting there.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the block were attached to the end of the spring and the system allowed to continue to move, what kind of motion would you see? What does that suggest for the form of x as a function of t?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted