Spring scale w/ Different Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions regarding force and tension in different scenarios. The first question involves using a spring scale to apply 50 pounds of force on one side and 40 pounds on the other, and the expected reading of the scale. The second question involves the pressure on the sidewall of a pipe with a supply pressure of 50psi and a return pressure of 40psi. The conversation also mentions the possibility of applying 50 pounds of force to both ends.
torq123
I have two questions that I think are analogous (tell me if they are not).

1. If I have a spring scale and apply 50 pounds of force to one side and 40 pounds to the other, what would it read and why? (I think it will read 45 pounds because that is what the tension would be if it were a rope).

2. If I have a pipe with a supply pressure of 50psi and a return pressure of 40psi, what is the pressure on the sidewall of the pipe.

These are not homework questions--I was doing some plumbing recently in the lab and it got me thinking...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the tension in the rope is 90 lb, and same for the spring scale.

UltrafastPED said:
I think the tension in the rope is 90 lb, and same for the spring scale.
What if you pulled both ends with 50 lbs of force?

FAQ: Spring scale w/ Different Forces

What is a spring scale and how does it work?

A spring scale is a scientific instrument used to measure force. It works by using the principle of Hooke's law, which states that the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is extended or compressed.

How is a spring scale calibrated?

A spring scale is typically calibrated by placing known weights on it and marking the corresponding measurements on the scale. The scale can then be used to measure unknown weights based on the markings.

What are the different forces that can be measured with a spring scale?

A spring scale can measure various types of forces such as weight, tension, compression, and friction. It can also be used to measure the force required to stretch or compress a material.

What are some examples of real-world applications of a spring scale?

Spring scales are used in many industries and settings, such as in laboratories for measuring the force required to break a material, in schools for physics experiments, and in kitchens for weighing ingredients. They are also commonly used in sports to measure the force of a throw or kick.

How accurate are spring scales in measuring different forces?

The accuracy of a spring scale depends on various factors, such as the quality of the scale, the calibration, and the skill of the user. Generally, spring scales have a margin of error of about 1-2%, which can be improved with proper calibration and use.