Spring system on an incline

In summary, a 4.6 kg mass is being propelled up a frictionless incline by a spring that is mounted at an angle of 29 degrees and has a spring constant of 560 N/m. The spring is compressed to 15 cm and the mass is then released. The questions being asked are: (a) how fast is the mass moving when it leaves the spring? and (b) to what maximum distance from the starting point will the mass rise up the incline? The relevant equations are W=1/2kx^2 for spring potential energy, KE=1/2mv^2 for kinetic energy, and PE=mgh for gravitational potential energy. The solution involves setting up a 1D
jabbie3

Homework Statement

A spring is mounted at an angle of 29 degrees on a frictionless incline as illustrated in the figure below. The spring is compressed to 15 cm where it is allowed to propel a mass of 4.6 kg up the incline.

https://chip.physics.purdue.edu/protected/GiordanoMimg/chapter6/06P94.jpg

Homework Equations

All I am really aware of is W=1/2kx2

But i do not know where to go from there

The Attempt at a Solution

Idk..i really need some guidance..THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry i forgot the questions!

(a) If the spring constant is 560 N/m, how fast is the mass moving when leaves the spring?

(b) To what maximum distance from the starting point will the mass rise up the incline?

loosk like a good one for conservation of energy

at each point teh energy can be in 3 forms

spring potential energy, kinetic energy & gravitation potential energy

should know the formulas for each of these think about where they apply

i tried that and I am not getting the right answer..i figured i would have to find the velocity in x and y before i find THE velocity..but i don't know where to start with that

show your working then...

this should be a 1D problem, set up your coordinate system at the incline

the Grav Potential will be the only place the angle enters into

1. What is a spring system on an incline?

A spring system on an incline is a physical system consisting of a spring attached to a mass, placed on an inclined plane. The system experiences a force due to the weight of the mass and the spring force.

2. What are the factors that affect the behavior of a spring system on an incline?

The behavior of a spring system on an incline is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, the angle of the incline, and the gravitational force acting on the object.

3. How does an increase in the angle of the incline affect the spring system?

An increase in the angle of the incline will result in a larger component of the gravitational force acting parallel to the incline. This will cause the object to move faster and increase the spring force, resulting in a greater displacement of the spring.

4. What is the equilibrium position of a spring system on an incline?

The equilibrium position of a spring system on an incline is the point at which the forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no net force causing motion. At this point, the spring is neither stretched nor compressed and the object remains at rest.

5. How does the spring constant affect the period of oscillation in a spring system on an incline?

The spring constant affects the period of oscillation in a spring system on an incline by determining how quickly the spring will return to its equilibrium position after being displaced. A higher spring constant will result in a faster oscillation period, while a lower spring constant will result in a slower oscillation period.