1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Velocity question

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass of 0.3kg is suspended from a spring of stiffness 200Nm. If the mass is displaced by 10mm from its equilibrium position and released for the resulting vibration, calculate:
    The mass required to produce double the maximum velocity calculated in question 2 using the same spring and deflection. The velocity in question 2 being 0.26ms-1.

2. Relevant equations
    V=Aωcos(ωt+∅)
    ω=√k/m

3. The attempt at a solution
    So A=0.01 v= 0.52MS-1.
    So transposing ωcos = 0.52/0.01 = 52rads.

Now with these numbers i can find the mass.
    ω=√k/m
    Transposing m = k/m^2
    Mass = 0.07kg.

Now the laws of physics are telling me this answer cannot be right. If an object with a mass of 0.3kg possesses a velocity of 0.26ms-1, then an object with a velocity of 0.52ms-1 should be greater than 0.07kg. The velocity is higher so surely the mass must be greater. Where am i going wrong with this!. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I see no reason why a greater mass should mean a higher velocity. Think about the acceleration. A higher mass has greater inertia, but the same deflection of the same spring only produces the same force.
    Maybe you are subconsciously taking the greater mass case also to have a greater displacement as part of a general scaling up. In that case you could get a greater velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted