Proving Convergence Using the Squeeze Theorem: A Brief Guide

• Thread starter denverhockeyfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses using the squeeze theorem to prove the convergence of a sequence to 0. The two given sequences, cos(npi)/n^2 and ((-1)^n) ln(n)/n^2, are used to show the "squeezing" of the sequence. The notation is a little ambiguous, but it is assumed that n is from the set of natural numbers. By applying the squeeze theorem and taking the limit as n approaches infinity, it can be shown that both sequences converge to 0. The person asking for help is reminded to show their work in the future.
denverhockeyfan

Homework Statement

Use the squeeze theorem to prove the sequence converges to 0. (Given the lim 1/n=0 and 1/n^2=0.

A) cos n pi / n^2

B) ((-1)^n) ln(n) / n^2

I know you have to show that the sequence "squeezes" between the two given above, but I am having problems doing so, any help would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
denverhockeyfan said:

Homework Statement

Use the squeeze theorem to prove the sequence converges to 0. (Givin the lim 1/n=0 and 1/n^2=0.

A) cos n pi / n^2

B) ((-1)^n) ln(n) / n^2
Although your notation is a little ambiguous i am assuming that on A) you meant

( cos(npi) )/n^2

remember that
0<=Icos(npi)I<= 1, i am assuming also that n is from naturals, than we can safetly multiply by 1/n^2 (or divide by n^2) because it is also positive, (moreover n^2 is always positive regardless of the sing of n) then we get:

0<=Icos(npi)I/n^2 <= 1/n^2 now taking the limit when n--> infinity what do u get?

Next time show your work, before the people here can give you any help.

B) use the same reasoning here also.

Last edited:

1. What is the Squeeze Theorem Problem?

The Squeeze Theorem Problem is a mathematical concept used to determine the limit of a function if it is "squeezed" between two other functions whose limits are known. It is also known as the Sandwich Theorem or the Pinching Theorem.

2. How does the Squeeze Theorem work?

The Squeeze Theorem works by comparing the limit of a function to the limits of two other functions that are known to be greater than or equal to the original function. If the two functions have the same limit, then the original function will also have the same limit.

3. What is the importance of the Squeeze Theorem in calculus?

The Squeeze Theorem is important in calculus because it provides a method for calculating the limit of a function that may be difficult to solve using other techniques. It is also used to prove the existence of limits and to evaluate indeterminate forms.

4. What are the conditions for using the Squeeze Theorem?

For the Squeeze Theorem to be applicable, the three functions being compared must be continuous at the point of interest and the "squeezing" functions must have the same limit as the original function at that point.

5. Can the Squeeze Theorem be used to evaluate limits at infinity?

Yes, the Squeeze Theorem can be used to evaluate limits at infinity. In this case, the two "squeezing" functions must have limits of infinity or negative infinity, and the original function must be bounded between them.