SR and QED: How Particles Interact with Time Dilation

• Thread starter nitin_zilch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qed Sr
In summary, SR and QED: how?In summary, according to the theory of special relativity, particles moving at speeds near to that of light will experience time dilation. This means that the particle will appear to be stationary to the observer, and will travel at a slower speed than the speed of light in a medium.
nitin_zilch
SR and QED: how?

how the particle moving at a speed near to that of light interact to it's surrounding,considering the very fact of it's time dilation?

what i mean to ask probably is that will it b possible for this particle to create another one from it's energy and still manage to throw the created particle with a speed again comparable to that of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
nitin_zilch said:
how the particle moving at a speed near to that of light interact to it's surrounding,considering the very fact of it's time dilation?

what i mean to ask probably is that will it b possible for this particle to create another one from it's energy and still manage to throw the created particle with a speed again comparable to that of light?

hi nitin_zilch! :smile:

if it's going through a vacuum, it will be exactly as if it's stationary (that's relativity) …

if it's going through a stationary medium (like air), it'll lose speed very fast :wink:

(i don't understand why you thought it might "create another one" :confused:)

if particle is traveling in any medium, won't it interact??

if it does how?
and if it doesn't why not??

u can consider a proton inside nucleus and then apply the same question to it

can u explain proton-neutron interaction inside nucleus considering time dilation?

tiny-tim

nitin_zilch said:
if particle is traveling in any medium, won't it interact??

if it does how?
and if it doesn't why not??

it will collide with the particles in the medium
u can consider a proton inside nucleus and then apply the same question to it
nitin_zilch said:
can u explain proton-neutron interaction inside nucleus considering time dilation?

that would be through the strong nuclear interaction

it has nothing to do with time dilation

nitin_zilch said:
Are you thinking of something like the decay of a muon into an electron, an electron-antineutrino, and a muon-neutrino? If so, can you re-cast your question in terms of that reaction? If not, can you give a concrete example for your question?

Also, as tiny-tim mentioned the proton-neutron interaction is via the strong force and muon decay is via the weak force, so neither are really relevant to the thread title on QED.

Last edited:

the question is for all

isn't collision also a way of interaction??

tiny tim

protons inside nucleus are moving at very high velocity,will at that speed time dilation occurs with it's simultaneous strong interaction?

the time dilation is negligible

even if it was large, it would still have no effect on the strong nuclear interaction

nitin_zilch said:

Electrons in the atom travel close to the speed of light and they can emmit and absorb photons makeing them change energy levels. The photon comeing from them always travel at the speed of light if in a vacuum.

The electron has mass and can eject photons at a higher velocity than it is traveling.

Electrons and positrons can combine to create neutrons. These particles are said to decay at random times in their history with unceairtainty as if they decayed or didn't decay at the same time until they are observed and the wave fuction collaspes. But, I am still trying to figure that one out for myself. Relativity isn't that combatable with QM, so I don't think you will get a real answer.

John232 said:
Electrons and positrons can combine to create neutrons.

not in my lifetime! :redface:

tiny-tim said:
not in my lifetime! :redface:

Sorry, I meant protons. LOL.

Electrons and positron would annhiliate each other into photons.

nitin_zilch said:
isn't collision also a way of interaction??
Yes. So is your question about how SR handles collisions? In SR collisions are governed by the conservation of the 4-momentum.

which of the following strong or weak or electromagnetic interaction willl have particle exchange rate high to manifest their effect?

nitin_zilch said:
which of the following strong or weak or electromagnetic interaction willl have particle exchange rate high to manifest their effect?
EM is fine for that. The effects of the exchange of photons is measurable.

dalespam

and why's that?...
why not strong or weak?...

also then tell the factor that makes strong interaction as so...
is it so bcoz of exchange of heavy particles??

dalespam

why not strong or weak?...

is that only the exchange of heavy particles manifest as strong?

I just said that the effects of photon exchange are measurable, I didn't say that the effects of exchange of W, Z, or gluons were not measurable. The EM force is easier, so let's just stick with that and not complicate things unnecessarily.

Can you ask your question in a very explicit manner using a concrete example of the exchange of a photon? We are now on the second page and still have no idea what you are asking. Try to be very clear.

ok ...dalespam
i started all this to check the interaction process of a particle when it has undergone enough time dilation,i still doesn't have that answer,i think i need to check the biological process of aging for humans and then will think upon the series of events that could b responsible for that ...

nitin_zilch said:
ok ...dalespam
i started all this to check the interaction process of a particle when it has undergone enough time dilation,i still doesn't have that answer
Of course you still don't have that answer, we still don't know what the question is. Please be clear and specific, use a concrete example. What do you mean by "check the interaction process", and which particles are you considering, and what do you mean by "enough time dilation"?

Your question is so vague that it is impossible to answer. You must put some effort into communicating clearly.

dalespam

her's the question that may give me my answer and will clarify u the context......

is there a biological process defining time dilation?if yes what's it

nitin_zilch said:
is there a biological process defining time dilation?

no of course not :smile:

nitin_zilch said:
her's the question that may give me my answer and will clarify u the context......

is there a biological process defining time dilation?if yes what's it
How do you think that this clarifies in any way what you mean by "check the interaction process" and "enough time dilation"? This seems entirely unrelated to all of your previous questions.

As tiny-tim mentioned, time dilation is defined in terms of the Lorentz transform, not anything biological. However, all biological processes would be affected by time dilation. This includes heart beats, respiration, diurnal rhythms, healing times, life expectancy, gestation period, reflex times, glomerular filtration rates, etc.

Related to SR and QED: How Particles Interact with Time Dilation

1. How does special relativity (SR) affect the way particles interact with time dilation?

Special relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that as particles move at high speeds, time dilation occurs, causing time to move slower for the particles compared to an observer at rest.

2. What is the role of quantum electrodynamics (QED) in understanding particle interactions with time dilation?

Quantum electrodynamics is a theory that describes how particles interact with each other through the exchange of photons. This theory is used to explain the effects of time dilation on particles, as it takes into account the quantum nature of particles and their interactions.

3. How does time dilation affect the measurement of particle properties?

Time dilation can cause a discrepancy in the measurement of particle properties, as the time frame in which the measurement is taken may be different for the particles and the observer. This can lead to different values being observed for properties such as mass and energy.

4. Are there any practical applications of understanding particle interactions with time dilation?

Yes, there are several practical applications of understanding particle interactions with time dilation. These include the precise measurement of particle properties in high-energy experiments, as well as the development of technologies such as GPS systems that rely on the effects of time dilation to function accurately.

5. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, although it may not be noticeable in most cases. For example, GPS satellites in orbit experience time dilation due to their high speeds, which must be accounted for in order to accurately determine the location on Earth. Additionally, particles in accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider also experience time dilation at high speeds.