Solve SR Latch Problem: Draw NAND Gates, Derive Table, Show Timing

• Thread starter snoggerT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sr
In summary, a similar latch using NAND gates has been drawn and its characteristic table and timing diagram have been derived. The solution in the book complements the S and R inputs and switches the Qa and Qb outputs, but it is unclear why this is done. The NAND gate latch has the same outputs as the NOR gate latch, but with different input and output configurations.
snoggerT
-NOTE: I figured the problem out. Please ignore.

Draw a similar latch using NAND gates (from one using NOR gates). Derive its characteristic table and show its timing diagram, given the R and S inputs.

S R Qa Qb
------------
0 0 0/1 1/0 (no change)
0 1 0 1
1 0 1 0
1 1 0 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I just replaced the NOR gates with NAND gates and did the characteristic diagram. Though the solution in the book complements the S and R inputs and switches the Qa and Qb outputs. I'm not sure why they do this, but can only assume by "similar" they mean to draw using NAND gates and have the same outputs as the NOR gate latch. So is there is a reason why you would complement the inputs and switch the outputs? If I need to scan in the circuit drawing, please let me know.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The NAND gate latch looks like this: S | R | Qa | Qb------0 | 0 | 1/0 | 0/1 (no change)0 | 1 | 1 | 01 | 0 | 0 | 11 | 1 | 1 | 1

it is important to understand the reasoning behind any changes or modifications made to a circuit design. In this case, it is likely that the reason for complementing the inputs and switching the outputs is to maintain the same functionality as the original NOR gate latch.

By complementing the inputs, the NAND gate latch will behave in the same way as the NOR gate latch, with a logic 0 input causing the output to be a logic 1 and vice versa. This ensures that the latch will still function as a memory element, storing the previous state until a new input is received.

Switching the outputs may also be necessary to maintain the same functionality. Since the NAND gate is an inverted version of the NOR gate, the outputs will also be inverted. By switching the outputs, the NAND gate latch will have the same output as the NOR gate latch, ensuring that the overall circuit behaves in the same way.

In summary, complementing the inputs and switching the outputs in the NAND gate latch is likely done to maintain the same functionality as the NOR gate latch. This ensures that the circuit operates as intended and any changes made do not affect the overall behavior of the latch.

1. How do I draw the NAND gates for a SR latch?

To draw the NAND gates for a SR latch, you will need two NAND gates connected in a cross-coupled configuration. The inputs of one NAND gate will be connected to the output of the other, and vice versa. The remaining two inputs will be the set and reset inputs for the latch.

2. How do I derive the truth table for a SR latch using NAND gates?

To derive the truth table for a SR latch using NAND gates, you will need to consider all four possible combinations of inputs (S=0, R=0; S=0, R=1; S=1, R=0; S=1, R=1) and the corresponding outputs. You can use the logic of NAND gates to determine the output for each input combination, and then record the results in a truth table.

3. How can I show the timing diagram for a SR latch using NAND gates?

To show the timing diagram for a SR latch using NAND gates, you will need to plot the inputs (S and R) and the outputs (Q and Q̅) on a graph over time. The inputs and outputs will change based on the timing of the clock signal and the logic of the NAND gates. By plotting the changes over time, you can visualize the behavior of the SR latch.

4. What are the common problems encountered when solving SR latch problems with NAND gates?

One common problem when solving SR latch problems with NAND gates is forgetting to include the feedback loop between the two gates. Without this feedback, the latch will not function properly. Another common problem is incorrectly assigning the inputs and outputs of the NAND gates, which can lead to incorrect truth table and timing diagram results.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues when solving SR latch problems with NAND gates?

If you are encountering issues when solving SR latch problems with NAND gates, you can troubleshoot by double-checking your circuit diagram, truth table, and timing diagram. Make sure all connections are correct and that you are using the correct logic for the NAND gates. You can also use a logic analyzer or simulation software to test your circuit and identify any potential issues.