1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stability of a teeter-toy-classical mechanics

1. Jan 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    teeter.totter-expl.c.jpg

In the image above, the toy consists of two identical mass hanging from a peg. we take the zero potential energy at the pivot.

2. Relevant equations:
    http://www.physicsmynd.com/?p=1172

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the potential energy is zero at the pivot, and the potential energy is defined by U(θ)=mgh, I had:
    U(θ)= mg(- l*cos(α+θ)- l*cos(α-θ))
    but the solution is: U(θ)= mg(L*cos(θ) - l*cos(α+θ)) +mg(L*cos(θ) - l*cos(α-θ))

So my question is,what is wrong with my answer, and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The zero of PE is at the pivot point.
    l*cos(α-θ) is not the vertical distance between the pivot point and the mass on the right.

Attached Files:

4. Jan 9, 2016 #3
    Thank you very much sir, I think my problem was with English more than it was with physics, I thought what he meant be pivot is the joining point of the arms with the peg, now I got the solution right.

5. Jan 9, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Good.

6. Oct 14, 2016 #5
    Hello, could you please publish or send to me the correct solution to that example?

7. Oct 14, 2016 #6
    Hello, could you please publish or send to me the correct solution to that example?

8. Oct 15, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's not how things are done here. If you have been given the same homework task and need help, please post your own attempt; maybe in a new thread.

9. Oct 18, 2016 #8
    Can someone do all my physics homeworks please and post them to me on time and not a minute late ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted