1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stability of nonlinear system

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    i need show that at the following system the zero solution is nominally stable, using some change of variable that transforme in a linear system

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt}=-x + \beta (x^2+ y^2) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt}=-2y + \gamma x y [/tex]

i tried with the eigenvalues of the Jacobian matrix at (0,0), but one of them is positive , then the system is unstable...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2013 #2
    What does the linearized matrix look like?

4. Apr 1, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it is pretty obvious just looking at this system what the eigenvalues are and they are both negative.

5. Apr 1, 2013 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What point are you linearising about?

OK now I see you say only (0, 0) is required. Doesn't seem to me you need any transformation for that point.

If I am not mistaken there is the possibility of three 'equilibrium' points - the other two may be more interesting than (0, 0).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  6. Apr 1, 2013 #5
    the problem says:
    "show that the zero solution is nonlinear stable. For this, find the change of variable that transforms this system in a linear system"....

i dont understand

7. Apr 3, 2013 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can anyone tell me what 'nominally stable' means? I know what 'locally stable' is, which would usually be the question.

To transform the whole system in which there are in general three different stationary points into a linear one would seem on the face of it impossible, isn't it?:uhh:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted