Stability of Nonlinear System: Can the Zero Solution be Nominally Stable?

In summary, the conversation was about finding a change of variable that transforms a nonlinear system into a linear one, in order to show that the zero solution is nominally stable. The person tried using the eigenvalues of the Jacobian matrix at (0,0) but found that the system was unstable. They asked about the linearized matrix and the point being linearized about. However, it was pointed out that only (0,0) was required for the transformation. The problem statement was then clarified, and someone questioned the meaning of "nominally stable" and the possibility of transforming the entire system into a linear one.
alejandrito29
i need show that at the following system the zero solution is nominally stable, using some change of variable that transforme in a linear system

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt}=-x + \beta (x^2+ y^2) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt}=-2y + \gamma x y [/tex]

i tried with the eigenvalues of the Jacobian matrix at (0,0), but one of them is positive , then the system is unstable...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the linearized matrix look like?

No, it is pretty obvious just looking at this system what the eigenvalues are and they are both negative.

What point are you linearising about?

OK now I see you say only (0, 0) is required. Doesn't seem to me you need any transformation for that point.

If I am not mistaken there is the possibility of three 'equilibrium' points - the other two may be more interesting than (0, 0).

Last edited:
the problem says:
"show that the zero solution is nonlinear stable. For this, find the change of variable that transforms this system in a linear system"...

i don't understand

alejandrito29 said:
i need show that at the following system the zero solution is nominally stable, using some change of variable that transforme in a linear system

alejandrito29 said:
the problem says:
"show that the zero solution is nonlinear stable. For this, find the change of variable that transforms this system in a linear system"...

i don't understand

Can anyone tell me what 'nominally stable' means? I know what 'locally stable' is, which would usually be the question.

To transform the whole system in which there are in general three different stationary points into a linear one would seem on the face of it impossible, isn't it?:uhh:

Last edited:

1. What is a nonlinear system?

A nonlinear system is a system that does not follow a linear relationship between the input and output. This means that small changes in the input can result in large changes in the output, making it difficult to predict the behavior of the system.

2. Why is it important to study the stability of nonlinear systems?

Studying the stability of nonlinear systems is important because it allows us to understand how these systems behave over time. This information is crucial for designing and controlling systems, as well as predicting their behavior in different scenarios.

3. How is stability of a nonlinear system determined?

The stability of a nonlinear system is determined by analyzing the behavior of the system over time. This can be done through mathematical analysis or by running simulations. If the system's behavior remains within certain bounds over time, it is considered stable.

4. What are the consequences of an unstable nonlinear system?

An unstable nonlinear system can lead to unpredictable behavior, making it difficult to control or use in practical applications. It can also result in catastrophic failures or damage to the system.

5. Can nonlinear systems ever be completely stable?

No, it is not possible for a nonlinear system to be completely stable. However, it is possible to design and control nonlinear systems to be stable within a certain range or under certain conditions. This is why studying the stability of nonlinear systems is crucial for practical applications.