Will SU-8 Pillars Hold During Spincoating of PDMS?

• Thread starter vbentiv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stability
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a SU-8 mold fabricated by lithography to create 50um diameter and 100-200 um deep PDMS wells. The concern is the mechanical stability of the system and whether the pillars will hold during spin coating of PDMS. While the SU8 pillars should be secure if there is good adhesion to the wafer, there is a risk of them coming off during unmolding or spinning at high speeds. It is unclear why spinning is necessary for creating wells, as opposed to through-holes in PDMS.
vbentiv
I am trying to make PDMS wells (50 um diameter, 100-200 um deep) and was considering using a SU-8 mould fabricated by lithography. This would however mean that I would be making 50um diameter/100-200 um high pillars. I am unsure about the mechanical stability of this system. Will the pillars hold during spincoating of PDMS?

vbentiv said:
I am trying to make PDMS wells (50 um diameter, 100-200 um deep) and was considering using a SU-8 mould fabricated by lithography. This would however mean that I would be making 50um diameter/100-200 um high pillars. I am unsure about the mechanical stability of this system. Will the pillars hold during spincoating of PDMS?
Thanks to Greg for the "bump" :cool: which made me see that post by chance.
The SU8 pillars should be OK if you make sure that the adhesion to the wafer will be good (a typical problem is pillars coming off during unmoulding).
However, if you spin fast enough then I suppose that it will be possible to loose pillars too. It is unclear why for you it is necessary to spin (or at least, why you would spin fast) if you want to make wells. I could see why you would spin if you wanted to make through-holes in PDMS.

1. What is SU-8 and why is it used to create pillars?

SU-8 is a type of epoxy-based photoresist commonly used in microfabrication processes. It is known for its high mechanical strength and stability, making it a suitable material for creating pillars that need to withstand various environmental conditions.

2. How does the stability of SU-8 pillars compare to other materials?

Compared to other common materials used in microfabrication, such as silicon or polymers, SU-8 pillars tend to have higher stability and durability. This is due to the strong chemical bonds within the SU-8 material, which make it less prone to deformation or degradation over time.

3. What factors can affect the stability of SU-8 pillars?

The stability of SU-8 pillars can be influenced by a variety of factors, including temperature, humidity, chemical exposure, and mechanical stress. It is important to carefully consider and control these factors during the fabrication process to ensure the desired stability of the pillars.

4. Can SU-8 pillars be made to be resistant to specific environmental conditions?

Yes, SU-8 pillars can be designed and fabricated to be resistant to specific environmental conditions, such as high temperatures or corrosive chemicals. This can be achieved by adjusting the composition of the SU-8 material or adding protective coatings.

5. How can the stability of SU-8 pillars be tested and evaluated?

The stability of SU-8 pillars can be tested and evaluated through various methods, including mechanical stress tests, environmental exposure tests, and long-term stability studies. These tests can help determine the strength and durability of the pillars and identify any potential issues that may affect their stability.