Stable or unstable equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of stable and unstable equilibrium for a negative charge placed at point A. The particle is in equilibrium with a net force of zero, but the question asks whether it is stable or unstable in the x and y directions. The criteria for determining this is by displacing the particle and observing its behavior. For stable equilibrium, the particle returns to its original position, for unstable it does not, and for neutral it remains in its new position. The conversation concludes that the particle is in stable equilibrium along the y-axis and unstable equilibrium along the x-axis, due to the forces acting in opposite directions.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A negative charge placed at point A is
d4s4p.jpg

a)in stable equilibrium along x-axis
b)in unstable equilibrium along y-axis
c)in stable equilibrium along y-axis
d)in unstable equilibrium along x-axis
(There can be more than one answers)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The particle is in equilibrium since the net force is zero. But the question asks whether the equilibrium is stable or unstable? I don't get it what the question means by that. What are the criteria for checking whether the equilibrium is stable or unstable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know stable and unstable equilibrium?

To check for which kind of equilibrium it is, think of what would happen if you displace the object very slightly in the direction you need to check, then depending on the behavior after the displacement, you can say whether it is a stable or unstable equilibrium.

Infinitum said:
Do you know stable and unstable equilibrium?

To check for which kind of equilibrium it is, think of what would happen if you displace the object very slightly in the direction you need to check, then depending on the behavior after the displacement, you can say whether it is a stable or unstable equilibrium.

About stable equilibrium, i only that the potential energy should be minimum otherwise its an unstable equilibrium. But i have never ever been able to utilize this fact to solve the questions.

If i displace the negative charge in vertical direction, it will tend to return to the original position as the net force is in downward direction. But how will that help me to check whether it is in stable equilibrium?

Pranav-Arora said:
About stable equilibrium, i only that the potential energy should be minimum otherwise its an unstable equilibrium. But i have never ever been able to utilize this fact to solve the questions.

Here is a very basic guide to understand equilibrium http://www.citycollegiate.com/staticsXb.htm

Stable equilibrium is one in which the body comes back to its original position when displaced slightly, unstable is the opposite and the body never attains its original position. Neutral is something in between. Here, it neither tries to get back its original position nor tries to change its configuration after the displacement.

If i displace the negative charge in vertical direction, it will tend to return to the original position as the net force is in downward direction. But how will that help me to check whether it is in stable equilibrium?

Can you answer this now? :wink:

Infinitum said:
Can you answer this now? :wink:
Then it must be in stable equilibrium along y-axis, But what about x-axis? I can't build up the scenario.

Pranav-Arora said:
Then it must be in stable equilibrium along y-axis, But what about x-axis? I can't build up the scenario.

Yep, for y-axis :smile:

For x axis, how would the forces act if you move it to the right a wee bit? What kind of motion would it undergo, then?

Infinitum said:
Yep, for y-axis :smile:

For x axis, how would the forces act if you move it to the right a wee bit? What kind of motion would it undergo, then?

It should perform SHM, right?

Pranav-Arora said:
It should perform SHM, right?

Um, nope. :redface:

Which of the forces is greater, the one due to the right or due to the left?? Which way would the particle move then??

Infinitum said:
Um, nope. :redface:

Which of the forces is greater, the one due to the right or due to the left?? Which way would the particle move then??

The force due to the right particle is greater.
Oops, i should have seen the opposite nature of charges before answering that it should perform SHM.
Then its unstable along x-axis.

Thanks for the help Infinitum! :smile:

1. What is the difference between stable and unstable equilibrium?

Stable equilibrium refers to a system that, when disturbed from its original position, will eventually return to its original state. Unstable equilibrium, on the other hand, describes a system that, when disturbed, will continue to move away from its original position.

2. How can you determine if a system is in stable or unstable equilibrium?

This can be determined by examining the system's potential energy. If the potential energy decreases as the system moves away from its original position, it is in a stable equilibrium. If the potential energy increases, it is in an unstable equilibrium.

3. Can a system be in both stable and unstable equilibrium?

No, a system can only be in one type of equilibrium at a time. However, a system can transition from stable to unstable equilibrium if it is disturbed enough.

4. What are some real-life examples of stable and unstable equilibrium?

A pendulum swinging back and forth is an example of stable equilibrium, as it will eventually return to its original position. A ball balanced on top of a hill is an example of unstable equilibrium, as any small disturbance will cause it to roll down the hill.

5. How does the concept of equilibrium apply to other fields of science?

The concept of equilibrium is widely used in physics, chemistry, and biology. In chemistry, it is used to describe chemical reactions and the behavior of molecules. In biology, it is used to explain the state of living organisms and their ecosystems. In economics, it is used to analyze supply and demand and market equilibrium.