Stamped Spring Design: Can it Work?

Additionally, the spring design should be carefully considered to ensure that it can handle the expected number of cycles. In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of a stamped spring as a bracket for a .375 round steel bar. The spring would need to be extruded and threaded for a 10-24, 10-32, or 1/4 bolt and be able to handle up to 35 lbs of force with approximately .250 deflection. The choice between extruding and threading or riveting and welding would depend on the material chosen, which should be carefully selected to ensure the spring can handle the desired deflection and force for the expected number of cycles.
CapitalClassi
I've got a idea for a new product that would need a spring. The stamped spring would serve as a "bracket" for a .375 round steel bar. The stamped spring would be extruded and threaded for a 10-24,10-32 or 1/4 bolt. The round bar would have about .250 deflection with approximately 20lbs of force. Maximum of 35 lbs of force. Spring would be expected to handle hundreds of cycles daily. I added a print with the idea of what I had in mind. I know little about designing stamped springs. My question is basically could a stamped spring work? Would the spring be able to handle this much deflection with this amount of force? Would extruding and threading be the best option over riveting and welding?

Attachments

• StampedSpringForum.jpg
    StampedSpringForum.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, a stamped spring could work for this application, depending on the material used. The choice between riveting and welding or extruding and threading would depend on what material is chosen. Different materials may have different strength characteristics that may make one option better than the other. It is important to select the right material for the application to make sure that the spring can handle the amount of deflection and force required.

1. What is stamped spring design?

Stamped spring design is a manufacturing process in which a flat sheet of metal is shaped and formed into a spring using a stamping press. This process is commonly used to produce small, precision springs for various applications.

2. How does stamped spring design work?

The process begins with a sheet of metal that is fed into a stamping press. The press uses a die to cut and shape the metal into the desired spring shape. The shaped spring is then heat-treated to improve its strength and durability.

3. What are the advantages of using stamped spring design?

Stamped springs offer several advantages over traditional springs. They can be produced at a lower cost and with greater precision, allowing for consistent quality. They are also lighter in weight and can be designed to fit into tight spaces.

4. Are there any limitations to stamped spring design?

While stamped springs offer many advantages, they do have some limitations. The size and shape of the spring are limited to the capabilities of the stamping press. Additionally, the material used for the spring is limited to types that can be easily stamped, such as low-carbon steel or aluminum.

5. Can stamped spring design be used for complex spring shapes?

Yes, stamped spring design can be used to create a variety of spring shapes, including complex geometries. However, the complexity of the shape may affect the cost and production time, as it may require multiple stamping operations and more advanced tools.