Standard Candles: Explaining Flux & Hubble Constant

• Thread starter bowlbase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Standard
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of standard candles, measured through redshift and flux, to determine the Hubble constant. The penalty function is introduced as a way to minimize the discrepancy between the predicted and observed flux values. The equation F_{model}(z_i|H_o-F_i)=F_{1Mpc}(\frac{(1Mpc)H_o}{cz})^2 is then proposed as the predicted flux of a standard candle at redshift z, given a value of Hubble constant H_o. The equation utilizes the concepts of flux and redshift, and it is used to explain the predicted flux.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

Suppose that we observe the redshifts and apparent fluxes of a sample of standard
candles. When observed at a distance of 1 Mpc, the standard candles are known to
have a flux F1Mpc = 1. From this sample of standard candles, we can measure the
Hubble constant H0.

redshift = z
flux = F
flux error = σ

The penalty function
[tex]\chi^2(H_o)=\sum_i^N(\frac{F_{model}(z_i|H_o-F_i)}{\sigma_i})^2[/tex]

where ##F_{model}(z_i|H_o-F_i)## is the predicted flux of a standard candle at redshift z, given a value of Ho, and {zi, Fi, σi} are the redshift,
flux, and error for the ith standard candle. The best- fitting value of H0 consistent with the data is the value that minimizes ##\chi^2##.

a) Explain why [tex]F_{model}(z_i|H_o-F_i)=F_{1Mpc}(\frac{(1Mpc)H_o}{cz})^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

Flux ##F=\frac{l}{4 \pi d^2}##
Hubble ##H=\frac{\dot{a}}{a}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I was given a data set of standard candle measurements with this problem but since I have no clue where the equation comes from I don't know if I'm suppose to use it for this or not. I'm guessing not since it wants me to explain why the equation is used.

I understand that ##z=\frac{v}{c}## so the equation is ##F_{model}(z_i|H_o-F_i)=F_{1Mpc}(\frac{(1Mpc)H_o}{v_{recession}})^2##

But, I don't know why this is necessarily the predicted flux.

Once I have this part understood I may have follow up questions because there is three parts to this. Let me know if I should go ahead and add those.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still struggling to understand this question. Anyone have some insight they might want to share?

Related to Standard Candles: Explaining Flux & Hubble Constant

1. What is a standard candle in astronomy?

A standard candle in astronomy refers to a type of celestial object that has a known and consistent luminosity. These objects are used as a reference point for measuring the distance of other objects in the universe.

2. How are standard candles used to explain flux?

Standard candles are used to explain flux by providing a baseline measurement of luminosity. By comparing the observed flux (brightness) of an object to the known luminosity of a standard candle, scientists can calculate the distance to the object using the inverse square law.

3. What is the Hubble Constant and how does it relate to standard candles?

The Hubble Constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is calculated by using the redshift of galaxies and the distance to these galaxies, which is determined using standard candles. Standard candles play a crucial role in determining the value of the Hubble Constant.

4. What are some examples of standard candles?

Some examples of standard candles include Type Ia supernovae, Cepheid variable stars, and the Tully-Fisher relation for spiral galaxies. These objects have a known and consistent luminosity, making them useful for measuring distances in the universe.

5. How do standard candles help us understand the size and age of the universe?

By using standard candles, scientists are able to accurately measure the distances to objects in the universe. This, in turn, allows for a better understanding of the size and scale of the universe. Additionally, the use of standard candles in calculating the Hubble Constant can provide insights into the age of the universe.