Understanding Star Formation: Triggering and Transformation Explained

In summary: An object that from its formation consists of iron, silicon and oxygen would not fuse protium because it does not contain any - even if...The problem starts with metals. Metals are heavy and when you put them in space they tend to pull everything else with them. This means that the star will be composed of mostly metal, with very little else.
helioscenturion
I have a question, it has to do with the formation of stars and how it is triggered.

I was reading that any given stellar body with enough mass would collapse into a star, does this mean that any type of matter you put in space regardless of what it is, given the correct conditions will turn into a star?.
Even if I put a bunch of water, paper, metal, horses, whatever?.
Sorry if the question sounds a little dumb.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
helioscenturion said:
I have a question, it has to do with the formation of stars and how it is triggered.

I was reading that any given stellar body with enough mass would collapse into a star, does this mean that any type of matter you put in space regardless of what it is, given the correct conditions will turn into a star?.
Even if I put a bunch of water, paper, metal, horses, whatever?.
Sorry if the question sounds a little dumb.
Yes, it is irrelevant what the macro composition of the matter is. If you get enough of it you get a star. If you get enough of it, for that matter, you will get a black hole.

How do you define "star"?

There are some caveats here that need addressing.

1. As snorkack asked, "how do you define 'star'?"

I am unable to quickly find a rigorous definition of a star, but I believe a star is usually considered a large, luminous object held together by its own gravity and that has the ability to fuse hydrogen in its core (or did so in its past). The last part, the ability to fuse hydrogen in its core, is important because it let's us make a distinction between 'stars' and 'things-that-look-kind-of-like-stars-but-aren't-quite'. Brown dwarfs are formed in exactly the same manner as stars and have the same composition, but are unable to fuse hydrogen (protium) in their cores because they are not massive enough. They also fall into the classification of 'sub-stellar objects', which are objects less massive than stars.

2. What are stars usually made of?

The typical star is composed of about 71% hydrogen and 27% helium (by mass). So around 98% of the matter making up a star is hydrogen or helium, the two lightest elements.

3. Why are these two things important?

We'll get to that. Right now actually. :wink:

These two things are important because of how stars get the energy they need to stave off collapse for millions to billions of years. They get it through nuclear fusion. Primarily the fusion of hydrogen. The stage of a stars life during which it fuses hydrogen is known as its Main Sequence Phase and is typically the longest part of a stars life.

As I said above, stars are composed mostly of hydrogen and helium. These two elements release a lot of energy from fusion and the products of their fusion also release lots of energy. At least up until you reach the elements of iron and nickel. Because of the way the opposing forces of electromagnetism and the strong force interact with nuclei, iron and nickel are the 'end point' for both fusion and fission. Fusing these elements together takes energy instead of releasing it, as does splitting them apart.

Now, so what? Well, the OP is asking the question, "Does this mean that any type of matter you put in space regardless of what it is, given the correct conditions will turn into a star?"

Given the definition of a star I gave above, and the knowledge that elements heavier than iron/nickel do not release energy upon fusing, the answer is no. If I put 5 solar masses of the element lead into a small gas cloud, which then collapsed under its own gravity, that material would not turn into a star. Oh it would collapse and shine like a star for a while, but it would not be a star under the definition I gave above. And it wouldn't shine for very long either (relative to an average main sequence star). Fusing hydrogen releases a substantial amount of energy. Far more than the gravitational potential energy released by our lead star over time. GPE is important because it is the sole source of energy available to a non-fusing, collapsing body like our lead star.

But, if you're definition of a star is different from mine, or if you're creative enough to 'stretch' the definition above, then you might be able to answer with something other than "no".

Likes stoomart, andrew s 1905 and maroubrabeach
OK, I stand corrected. A large mass of Drakkiths, say, would not likely become a star.

phinds said:
OK, I stand corrected. A large mass of Drakkiths, say, would not likely become a star.
Carbon, oxygen and hydrogen? Should still work. I think the problem starts with metals.

An object that from its formation consists of iron, silicon and oxygen would not fuse protium because it does not contain any - even if it were hot and massive enough to fuse protium if it contained any.

Drakkith said:
Fusing hydrogen releases a substantial amount of energy. Far more than the gravitational potential energy released by our lead star over time.
Remarkably, that's not as true as you might expect. Typical stars like the Sun end up putting about half their mass into white dwarfs about the size of the Earth, and stars made of lead might do that for all their mass. If you calculate the gravitational energy released when they do that, you will see it is somewhat competitive with all the energy they release due to fusion (perhaps about 1/10). So while it is true that the main sequence is the longest lived period while stars are still bright, it really isn't true that this phase is all about releasing fusion energy-- a non-negligible fraction of it is gravitational energy, released in creating white dwarfs, and even more energy would be released that way if shell fusion didn't ultimately expel half the star. What all this means is, if there were no such thing as fusion, we'd still have a sky filled with bright dots-- they'd typically be bluer and have perhaps a ten times shorter lifetime of being bright (so there'd be something like 1/10 as many we could see), but I wager we'd just use a different definition of a "star."

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
As I said above, stars are composed mostly of hydrogen and helium. These two elements release a lot of energy from fusion and the products of their fusion also release lots of energy. At least up until you reach the elements of iron and nickel. Because of the way the opposing forces of electromagnetism and the strong force interact with nuclei, iron and nickel are the 'end point' for both fusion and fission. Fusing these elements together takes energy instead of releasing it, as does splitting them apart.
I don't understand. I was told that iron and the elements above would release energy upon fusing, but to fuse them takes more energy than was released by the fusion of the element.

chasrob said:
I don't understand. I was told that iron and the elements above would release energy upon fusing, but to fuse them takes more energy than was released by the fusion of the element.
That's what he means-- in the net, fusing iron into something heavier will use up energy, rather than release it, so it's not a nuclear fuel for a star.

Likes chasrob
chasrob said:

Ken G said:
That's what he means-- in the net, fusing iron into something heavier will use up energy, rather than release it, so it's not a nuclear fuel for a star.

Yep. :biggrin:

1. How do stars form?

Stars form from giant clouds of gas and dust in space called nebulae. The gravitational force from these clouds causes the material to clump together, forming a dense core. As the core continues to grow, it becomes hot enough for nuclear fusion to occur, creating a star.

2. What is the role of gravity in star formation?

Gravity is the driving force behind star formation. It pulls the gas and dust in a nebula together, causing it to collapse and form a dense core. Without gravity, the material in a nebula would continue to disperse and no stars would be formed.

3. What elements are involved in star formation?

The main elements involved in star formation are hydrogen and helium. These are the most abundant elements in the universe and make up the majority of a star's mass. Other elements, such as carbon, oxygen, and iron, are also present in smaller amounts and are essential for the formation of planets around the star.

4. How long does it take for a star to form?

The time it takes for a star to form depends on the size of the nebula and the mass of the star. On average, it takes about 10 million years for a star to form, but some stars can form in as little as 100,000 years. This may seem like a long time, but in the grand scale of the universe, it is relatively quick.

5. Can stars form anywhere in the universe?

Stars can form in any area of the universe where there is enough gas and dust for gravity to pull together. However, they tend to form in regions of higher density, such as spiral arms in galaxies or in the dense cores of nebulae. Stars also tend to form in clusters, as the gravitational pull of other stars can help to facilitate their formation.