1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star light extinction and optical extinction

1. May 7, 2009 #1

TFM

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The normalized extinction is defined as

[tex] F(\lambda) = \frac{A_{\lambda}-A_v}{A_B - A_v} [/tex]

where [tex] A_{\lambda} [/tex] is the extinction (in magnitudes) at wavelength [tex] \lambda [/tex]. B and V are wavelength bands but for the purposes of this question we will
    assume that they represent particular wavelengths with B = 420nm and V = 540 nm.

(a)

Show that if the optical depth is proportional to frequency (i.e. [tex] \tau = \frac{C}{\lambda} [/tex]), then [tex] F(\lambda) = \frac{c_1}{\lambda} + c_2 [/tex] where [tex]c_1[/tex] and [tex]c_2[/tex] are constants which should be evaluated in terms of C, V and B.

(b)

Hence sketch [tex] F(\lambda) [/tex] over the visible range, 300–800 nm.

(c)

Find the asymptotic value of [tex] F(\lambda) as \lambda \leftharpoondown \infty [/tex] (i.e. the numerical value of [tex]c_2[/tex]).

2. Relevant equations

The equation of radiative transfer:

[tex] dI_{\nu} = (s_{\nu} - I_{\nu})d\tau_{\nu} [/tex]

[tex] s_{\nu} = j_{\nu}/\alpha_{\nu} [/tex]

[tex] \tau_{\nu} = \int \alpha_{\nu} ds [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not quite sure where to start for part a). I know quite a few equations, which I have posted above. But could any tell me what is the best way to start this question?

Many Thanks,

TFM

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted